hi,
i have a 9600xt. it didnt perform well on my p3 1ghz, 256 mb sdr and even my mx440 outperformed it in hl2, nfsu2. im going for a new system. my options are:

2.8ht(800mhz fsb), 2x256 mb ddr(400 mhz), intel 865gbf(supports dual channel, 533/800mhz fsb) and 80 gb sata

OR

2.4(533mhz fsb), 2x512mb ddr(400 mhz), intel 865gbf(supports dual channel, 533/800mhz fsb) and 80 gb sata

also; pl advise on how to maximize utilization of ram stick config in a dual channel mobo.......i mean 2 sticks would obviously be useful! how about four? 4x256 or 2x512 ?

thanks for ur replies...........infact i didnt get any for my previous one :sad: . this is ur chance to make up! ;)

kind regards
omw

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Coconut Monkey

hi,
forgot to mention...........2.8ht is with 1mb cache and 2.4(non ht) with 512k of cache.

Hmmm. Have you looked into alternative setups crab? Say something from AMD? The socket 478 platform you've chosen there is being phased out, although it still offers a decently performing platform. Plus, I would recommend 1 stick of 512Mb for the first setup, with a mind to add another later (it won't impact on performance much).

Have you also considered a new case/PSU? You may have a non-standard enclosure there which might not accept a new board. A gruntier, brand name PSU (Power Supply Unit) may also be required to power your new rig.

hi,
amd not aval where i live.........im in pakistan. it is however aval in another city and i can get it from there but i reckon warranty service wouldnt be accessible. im going for a 2.8ht coz i may have to upgarde to a pciE mobo in the future; so why invest more than required. also, anything higher would be an overkill for the 9600xt. im stuck with this card and cant afford to get a 6600gt right now! secondly, one stick 512 wont utilize the dual channel ..............just my thought. do u think dual channel increases a noticeable mem tranfer rate?

in case i go for a 700(+ something) pin processor, ill have to change both the processor and the mobo(coz intel 915/955 etc mobos r now female.....got holes instead of legs).

regarding casing/psu.........yeah, im going for a 350watt psu. ur right my current casing doesnt support the new mobo........different chassis. i think any casing with easily removable side panel, dual fan and a true max output 350 watt psu should do the job.

thanks for ur reply..........more thoughts welcome

kind regards
omw

I haven't heard of any socket 478 boards with PCI-E slots - only the newer 775 boards.

I wouldn't worry too much about the dual channel - it won't make much of a difference. Buy another stick later on and enjoy the performance increase!

What PSU are you planning to buy? Make sure it's decent - Antec, Topower, Aopen, OCZ come heavily recommended, although there are other decent brands out there. Generic brands are a risky business, and I suggest you steer clear!

I haven't heard of any socket 478 boards with PCI-E slots - only the newer 775 boards.

I wouldn't worry too much about the dual channel - it won't make much of a difference. Buy another stick later on and enjoy the performance increase!

What PSU are you planning to buy? Make sure it's decent - Antec, Topower, Aopen, OCZ come heavily recommended, although there are other decent brands out there. Generic brands are a risky business, and I suggest you steer clear!

Not all generic brands are bad however. Just a majority of them. i've got a jeantech one and had no problems whatsoever. the one i have inside my packard bell though is a different kettle of fish entirely. about august last year i was using the pc when the power supply begun smoking (an example of a bad generic supply). i was lucky in the way i got everything turned off and gotthe machine down to a repair place in time. it was close to popping.:cry: :)

hi,
im going for a single 512 stick(400) as u suggested. i hope im doing the right thing here, ill have to wait till autumn for another stick! ill see if i can lay my hands on some branded casing. thanks for ur advice cmonkey. i appreciate it. but still, one thing im failing to understand is why my mx440 performed so well at 10/7 res on my present(sort of lathargic sys)!!!??? i get 9- 25 fps in hl2 with almost all the settings on low at 10/7. i think its a mystery thatll remain unsolved! ive given the details of my problem in a thread named "problem with new 9600xt" under video cards.

now u can take that as a challenge.

thanks a million

kind regards
omw

hi,
by the grace of almighty Allah, all my problems are solved! i went for:

intel 3.0ht....ive kept the side panel of the casing open(read reviews that its got some heating problems).....i dont know how to sense the temp though.
intel 865gbf mobo
1 x 512 ddr(400)
80 gb sata

i now realize what kinda bottle neck my p3 1.0ghz was! planning to add another 512 stick after some time. i was afraid how my 9600xt would perform(many people reviewed it to be a sort of obsolete card); on the contrary ive found it to be very good. i can play now hl2, riddick with every detail to high(ive yet to try the anti aliasing though) at 10/7 res. i dont want to go for 16/12 res and would be pretty much satisfied with at the most 12/9 or 12/10 res. im getting avg 60-70 fps with every thing at max at 10/7. sometimes its 100 as well. lowest is around 40.

needed to share it with u guys!
thanx

kind regards
omw

hi,
any advice regarding cooling slolution for the processor r also welcome

kind regards
omw

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.