My issue is a little different in that I haven't changed anything internally or installed anything new etc.... it's exactly the same system that's been working brilliantly for the last 5-6 months.
I *did* just move from one side of the country to the other, and the computer was transported by a courier ( *sigh* a clumsy one i expect! :/ ) and today is the first time i have attempted to turn it on since its big adventure.
Soooo, long story short, this is what has happened every time i've tried turning it on ...roughly in order:
Power light turns on
All fans running perfectly
Nothing on monitor, absolutely black (doesn't even come up with 'no signal' when it's turned off and then on again)
HDD led lights up right at startup, stays lit for about 10+ seconds
HDD spins like normal (no broken/'reading error' clicks and clacks)
CD and DVD writers led's come on, both check for media present and spin up when it is... like normal
about 4 seconds after the HDD led lights initially at startup it flashes twice fairly quickly then turns off (doesn't light up again no matter how long i leave the pc idling in limbo, until i hit reset and try it all over again)
no POST beeps at all (i did get post beeps when i removed all of the ram chips at one stage)
...and that's the state it just stays at, fans running, HDD whirring faintly, no HDD light, power light on, blank screen until I hold down the power button to turn it off (it has no problem resetting or turning power off)
Been reading up on all the other similar "dead machines" threads and trying all the solutions I saw suggested:
- made sure all cards securely in their slots (all removed and then re-inserted)
- made sure all internal leads firmly attached to each component
- made sure all fans/heatsinks clean of dust (they were pretty clean to begin with tho anyway)
- eraser on ram contacts
- ram chips swapped out with a known working chip of the same type (all three were bought at the same time... new motherboard bought 6m ago only had two slots, not three)
- HDD swapped over with the HDD out of my portable external backup HDD
- monitor checked on laptop's TV-out, works fine
- reset bios defaults by removing the battery for 10 min and holding 'power' button in for 60 sec (and then the 'reset' button for 60 seconds also... just for good measure
- removed 1 stick of ram, and tried it in both slots as well
- Stripped it down to bare bones:
cpu + heatsink and fan
graphics card (no onboard graphics)
1 stick ram - tried 2 sticks first (there was no difference in the symptoms/outcome whatsoever, whether it had 1 or 2 sticks, or whether the 1 stick was in the first or second slot)
I also tried powering it on without HDD, and then attached it again (only dif was the red HDD led - blinked once instead of twice when the hdd was removed. exciting *lol*)
At my wits end here! :)
...Can anyone give me a hint as to how can I tell what the problem component/s are, what should I be suspecting????
Cheers for any and all help!
(NB: I don't have another PC to test the components with either. bugger! :)