Hi guys,
I recently brought my sister's computer home to do some upgrades. The computer worked fine over her house. When I tried to boot the computer up at my house, it shuts off about about 3 seconds. It is a HP Pavilion a 475c. I have never experienced something like this before. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

Something came loose bouncing up and down in the car?

Jump to Post

Sounds like overheating. Maybe the heatsink or fan came off

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Something came loose bouncing up and down in the car?

Sounds like overheating. Maybe the heatsink or fan came off

I agree, it sounds like a overheating issue.
I recently built a new computer from components, and my CPU fan was not attached correctly, this caused the dual core processor to over heat at a record pace: 3-5 seconds, and then the computer would automatically shut down.
open the case and make sure all the fans are running, the heat sinks are places properly , and get the dust bunnies out of there while your at it!

Good Luck

Yes, but the thing is that after doing it for a while, the computer boots up. Isn't that odd?

Yes, but the thing is that after doing it for a while, the computer boots up. Isn't that odd?

It sounds then like a defective piece of hardware. I have seen similar situations caused as well by faulty components, Power Supplies, RAM modules etc. There is no easy way (as far as I know) to trouble shoot what is faulty and causing the faiure, But a couple of ideas are: Change out the power supply and any other hardware you can, one at a time, and test to see if you still have the same issue.

Another thing you can try is: Memtest86 Runs tests on your RAM modules to see if they are defective in any way.

my other thought:. Do you get an irregular POST beep?

Once again good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, learning, and sharing knowledge.