Hi, this is my first time here & I dont know if this is in the right section but...my girlfriend computer appears to have died-but i thought i would try and figure out what was going on. So here is what has happened:

1) error message came up a number of times saying there was a corrupt file on the computer (she didnt note down what it was and kinda ignored it)

2) when she tried to load it yesterday it came up with that blue screen where it scans the system (possibly the c drive)

3) it then went to the following error message :

" winlogon.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because COMTL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

4) she hit ok and the following message appeared:

" User Interface Failure

The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load.

Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL."

5) You then have to click restart and it goes back to 3).

This all happens before windows loads up and so my knowledge about computers (purely about windows) is completely useless & I would love some assistance!!

Cheers

Dave

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

try starting it up in safe mode and see if you can go in and disable some things, somthing that may be linked to those DLL files. that may allow you access into the system in normal mode. once you get that figured out you may be able to find a faulty card or something like that.

Member Avatar for novist4me

Scan for spyware or viruses

The Blue screen that you described is a disc check. Typically this will appear when you power off the computer by holding down the button or the battery runs out. The purpose of this is to check and make sure that during this shutdown no files were damaged and repairs them. Obiously these DLL files were damaged in such a power off and by skipping the disc check they have not been repaired properly.

The best solution is to put in your windows CD and try and run a repair on the operation system. If this does not work then you will probably need to completely reinstall windows using the same CD.

Member Avatar for novist4me

You may also want to make sure the hard drive did not go bad on you. There is alot of software on the web that can do this for you. You might check the website for the hard drive manufacturer for these utilities..just my 2 cents

Great information everyone. Seems as if you guys covered everything. Try a few of these solutions to fix errors on computer. Never know, they may work.

Computererrors is right;

Great information everyone. Seems as if you guys covered everything. Try a few of these solutions to fix errors on computer. Never know, they may work.

But if all this fails you have to reinstall your operating system...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.