Without going into the long story, my mother-in-law has a computer that we kind of neglected for a little while and when my husband went to update Windows XP he wasn't able to. He ran TrendCillen. The computer had a ton of spyware that he quarantined but no viruses, but since then we haven't been able to geto onto the internet at all. The first error message was about the IP address. I entered the IP address and now I get "Cannot find server or DNS error."

This computer is a bit of her life-line. She was able to order groceries and email relatives, and now can't. And of course it is OUR FAULT!

Any suggestions?

Download and run Winsockfix from here http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

==

Download HijackThis from here. Download it to your desktop and NOT a temporary folder.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.