I'm currently without internet access at home, since my PC locked up as a result of what I think might have been a power surge.
The PC utterly froze and I had no choice but to power it off. I didn't boot it up again until the next day, and realised I had no internet access (wireless broadband). The strange thing is, that my wife's laptop can connect quite merrily.
Now, the wife is away for three nights with said laptop, and I am left without internet access. (I'm not supposed to use her work laptop anyway, but...). So, this might be slow going as I can only download fix tools and stuff at work and take them home. I might be able to post a Hijackthis log after lunch.
I'll summarise the situation and what I have done so far, but I'm out of ideas now.
This is an XP PC, by the way.
- My wireless is detected, and I appear to connect as usual (although the DNS registration step FEELs like it's happening too fast, faster than it used to.
- IE and Firefox both just display page cannot be found messages.
- Hijackthis log showed: Broken internet access because of LSP Provider 'lsplaf.dll'. - No mention of that particular dll via Google search.
- I followed some instructions on another forum, and deleted the Winsock/Winsock2 entries from my registry, rebooted and then reinstalled TCP/IP
- Hijackthis log entry reported above is now gone. But the problem remains the same.
- Downloaded LSPFix, which showed nothing in the Remove column. Clicked Finish. Rebooted. Same problem.
- Downloaded Winsockxpfix, ran it, rebooted...same problem.
- Finally, I downloaded AdAware but was too tired and angry to run it last night, so will pop home from work at lunchtime and give it a go. (I'll also be taking the latest version of Hijackthis with me if I can borrow a USB device from someone. Edit: Got it, so I can post logs later on)
- I don't want to reinstall Windows, or reformat as an absolute last resort, but is there any other way to utterly nuke my network connections, and anything broadband related and start over?
I'd be very grateful for any advice people have. I'm gutted that the two main fixes of this problem that I've seen on the net haven't worked for me.