Member Avatar for lordinateur

I believe I have got 'bad' virus on my toshiba portege m400, (i.e. not easy to get rid off) from a download.

After which my scanning facilities in my antivirus software, Norman were disabled. I have changed virus software to Kaspersky Antivirus but now it will not update properly, the database will not update and is current labelled obsolete. I have scanned the computer with a rescue disk: Avira Rescue System, update to 19.02.2010, if found a warning but no viruses/malware. I have scanned the computer with the free Housecall as well with nothing found.

I have tried scanning it with a Kaspersky Rescue disk but get an error message with Intel Boot Agent, PXE-E61 Media Test Fail when I load the rescue cd.

I now only get the Toshiba set up screen.

I would appreciate any help but I cannot format my hard drive as I have not backed it up (I know that is a bad move)

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I believe I have got 'bad' virus on my toshiba portege m400, (i.e. not easy to get rid off) from a download.

After which my scanning facilities in my antivirus software, Norman were disabled. I have changed virus software to Kaspersky Antivirus but now it will not update properly, the database will not update and is current labelled obsolete. I have scanned the computer with a rescue disk: Avira Rescue System, update to 19.02.2010, if found a warning but no viruses/malware. I have scanned the computer with the free Housecall as well with nothing found.

I have tried scanning it with a Kaspersky Rescue disk but get an error message with Intel Boot Agent, PXE-E61 Media Test Fail when I load the rescue cd.

I now only get the Toshiba set up screen.

I would appreciate any help but I cannot format my hard drive as I have not backed it up (I know that is a bad move)

Thanks

hey lordint,
The first thing you should know is running more than one anti-virus at a time or having more than one installed at a time can cause major conflicts, even making some not work properly. Please delete your other anti-viruses and than post back here if Kapersky isn't working. There is a slight possibility that your running kapersky 6.0 which had the glitch you are describing but they found a fix to it heres a link http://support.kaspersky.com/wks6mp3/error?qid=208279891

hey lordint,
The first thing you should know is running more than one anti-virus at a time or having more than one installed at a time can cause major conflicts, even making some not work properly. Please delete your other anti-viruses and than post back here if Kapersky isn't working. There is a slight possibility that your running kapersky 6.0 which had the glitch you are describing but they found a fix to it heres a link http://support.kaspersky.com/wks6mp3/error?qid=208279891

Thanks, I have installed a free one (don't know the name off hand) but I will uninstall it. I was just running 'cloud' antivirus programs and rescue disks as I thought my Kaspersky antivirus was infected. However the problem started before I installed the free one.

I originally had Norman, then I uninstalled it and loaded Kaspersky but both had the same problems. They also kept asking me for my licence key again and again. However I will check what version Kaspersky is and use your link to see if that helps thanks.

Okay, you may not know it but you just said the problem in your last post. Your anti-virus was asking for your license key because you need the license key for updates to work. Your license key comes in the box that you purchased the anti-virus with. It usually will be on the cd case or somewhere inside the box. If you purchased it legally from Kapersky they will have sent you an email with your license key. You need to find your license key and enter it into your anti-virus. If you downloaded Kapersky illegally, delete it and download the free legal antivirus avg. AVG is free and they have a version you can pay for but that is optional. In my opinion AVG isn't as good as some anti-viruses but it should do the job.

commented: Good, helpful and good postive feedback +1

Okay, you may not know it but you just said the problem in your last post. Your anti-virus was asking for your license key because you need the license key for updates to work. Your license key comes in the box that you purchased the anti-virus with. It usually will be on the cd case or somewhere inside the box. If you purchased it legally from Kapersky they will have sent you an email with your license key. You need to find your license key and enter it into your anti-virus. If you downloaded Kapersky illegally, delete it and download the free legal antivirus avg. AVG is free and they have a version you can pay for but that is optional. In my opinion AVG isn't as good as some anti-viruses but it should do the job.

I have the licence key, it is legal, and I entered about 3 times.

How do you add the last line of "If I helped you I would appreciate it if you would give me some reputation."?

Some anti-viruses send you an email confirming that you just used your license key so you may have to check your inbox if your anti-virus still isn't updating.

Some anti-viruses send you an email confirming that you just used your license key so you may have to check your inbox if your anti-virus still isn't updating.

A kaspersky rescue disk found a trojan and I know a virus is on my computer as it is has disabled the antivirus. I will run the disc again but I thought i had deleted the virus. Any other suggestions?

A kaspersky rescue disk found a trojan and I know a virus is on my computer as it is has disabled the antivirus. I will run the disc again but I thought i had deleted the virus. Any other suggestions?

yes, download hijack this and paste your hijack log onto the forum so we can examine it and tell you what virus or viruses are infecting your system. Some viruses are like the flu, it is very hard to get rid of them. What I'm trying to say is that you can delete a virus (or at least think you did) but when you reboot it is alive and well because it's tricky. You can get rid of these types of viruses but it's not as easy as the regular cold viruses that you can just quarantine and delete.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.