Hi there, its asking me to verify all the bold items in the different parts of the registry. Should I select them all as they probably are to do with Java.

It says it has found 581 Registry items.

Do they SAY they are Java? That is the KEY. When dealing with the Registry you cannot assume, you have to be able to see that it does in fact say Java

I do think they are all to do with Java, most of the links when opened up does refer to either a plugin or some other detail.

However, not ALL of them refer to Java.

i.e

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

.jar --> opens to say default - jarfile

hoping i have attached a picture of the screen.

It's been awhile since I used Revo, does it give you the option of backing up those files for safety?

Was that all Revo found, just the Registry entries?

Its ok - i have deleted the files as 95% referred to java. All looks ok and that has deleted java from the list.

I have to go now. so let me know what to do next.

I have not been to happy with AVG as anyone who has asked my advice on free anti virus, I directed to AVG free. However, many of those have come back with malware problems.

Which anti virus would you suggest?

Many Thanks for all your help so far.

Hi Jholland

I have installed both the anti virus and the latest java.

The computer is working much better now and no errors are coming up.

The only thing that I am having a problem with now is Outlook Express not loading up. I have managed to set the computer up on Microsoft Outlook but cannot import the .pst file (i think its the personal folders??), it basically states that the personal folders are not compatible.

Is there anything you can recommend for us to open up Outlook Express (maybe an update for it) or being able to import it to Microsoft Outlook via another route?

Many Thanks

There are no updates available anymnore for Outlook Express so that makes it rather difficult. I will do some checking and see what I can come up with, you might also try Thunderbird, an email program that is similar to Outlook Express from Mozilla, the creators of the Firefox browser.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I will certainly give the firefox e-mail service a go, even if only to recover the previous e-mails.

The anti virus you suggested to download did a full scan and has produced a log file report. Do you mind having a look for me, its 600 odd pages long on word so I have zipped it and attached.

Thanks

David

(hopefully this will be the last thing that needs to be done. :)

Don't know where you got the idea the log was 600 pages long, it's 13 pages.The KEY part of the log however that is needed is the portion that begins with the wording Start of the scan: and the date. The upper portion of the log just lists the configuration settings and that's not needed except to be sure the program is fully up to date.
The majority of the infected files were found in System Restore. It should be reset and most definitely made smaller.To do this do the following:

Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives"
Also reduce the size of System Restore to no larger than 5%. The default setting is 12% I believe and that is much too large.
Now remove that check mark and System Restore will be turned back on.
There were other infected files found, at least three.
You need to update MBA-M and do a Full Scan with it. Have it Remove Everything found and then Reboot the computer.
Post back here with the log produced.

May I ask what you mean by this : "The only thing that I am having a problem with now is Outlook Express not loading up."
OE won't start, or it starts but won't present any mails in some or all of the folders?

Outlook Express does not open at all. I just get a noise from the speakers (ding) and then nothing loads up. Doesnt even flash up and then disappear. No error messages saying the files cannot be found or anything. May as well not have clicked on it.

Try this, then:
Part 1: msoe50.inf
-Open an Explorer window, search for msoe50.inf -the default location for this file is in the C:\Windows\Inf folder [show hidden files and folders].
-Right click the Msoe50.inf file, and then click Install.
-Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM when prompted and on it locate the I386 folder, click Open, and then click OK.
Outlook Express files will be installed. You may have the requisite i386 folder on your hdd. Easiest if you have a [slipstreamed] SP3 cd.

Part 2. wab50.inf
-search for wab50.inf -the default location for this file is in the C:\Windows\Inf folder.
-Right-click the Wab50.inf file, and then click Install.
-In the I386 folder on the CD-ROM click Open, and then click OK.
Outlook Express address book has installed.

Outlook Express is now reinstalled. Start Outlook Express to test its
functionality.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.