I attempted to remove some malware by myself and believe I successfully removed it, however I am unable to connect to the internet despite having a wireless connection that says connected. There are no packets being sent or received, and all the info under support tab (up address, subnet mask, default gateway) are blank. I also have no ping.executive in my processes anymore, which I think may be the issue

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

We need a lot more information, logs of removal programs used, names of the infections, locations of the infections, operating system, anti-virus program, firewall. Without all of that information we will not be able to suggest a solution.

I am only able to connect to the internet using my phone, so I don't really know how to post logs, and don't really know much about logs anyways. I am running XP, and had the virus that disguises itself as Windows security center. I used super spyware, CCleaner, and Malewarebytes, and I think eradicated the virus. However, the ping.exe process was apparently ended and I can't access the internet anymore.

How do you normally connect to the internet, dial up, broadband, wireless? Do you know the names of the infections removed?

Please download and run Farbar Service Scanner
-- Check Include All Files and hit scan. It should produce a log. Please post the FSS.txt for us.

You will need to use a flash drive to transfer FSS and the resulting logs.
Once we see which service was infected, we should be able to get you back online to continue the cleaning process...

Cheers :)
PP

easiest thing to do is erase your computer, back up what is important to you, then find somebody who can take care of the situation(i can)

commented: too drastic at this point -3

easiest thing to do is erase your computer, back up what is important to you, then find somebody who can take care of the situation(i can)

This truly is not helpful. If you read the information posted by PhilliePhan this situation can very possibly be remedied by the steps he is outlining.

While it is possible that you could help the poster after he has erased his computer, I could also, but neither of us are likely in his location, so that isn't going to do the poster much good.

We rarely recommend a reformat of the computer if at all possible and it is recommended only as a last resort. By reading PhilliePhan's post alone one can tell that point has certainly not been reached in this case.

weeds2323, I strongly recommend that you ignore the advice given by skilly and do follow the instructions given to you by PP. He will lead you the rest of the way.

There is absolutely no need to reformat the computer to fix this problem. We just need to find what service was infected and what registry keys were compromised.

-- One could argue, though, that after any sort of rootkit infection a reformat is the best course of action. But, that applies to the malware involved and not the connectivity issue.

The FSS.txt ought to show us where the problem lies.

Cheers :)
PP

by philphan->There is absolutely no need to reformat the computer to fix this problem.

I agree, but perhaps the user is not as skillful as you & your peers. I still stand by my original recommendation(easiest because it is the easiest to understand and do)

actually, perhaps your browser is set to 'work offline' or something similar, this happened to my neighbor 1 month ago. but i had to walk over and check his computer in order to find out(just easier than over the phone) ;-)

I agree, but perhaps the user is not as skillful as you & your peers. I still stand by my original recommendation(easiest because it is the easiest to understand and do)

Actually, if the FSS.txt can pinpoint the issue, the OP may be able to download a file to flash drive, transfer it to ill computer and double-click it and reboot and presto - back online.

Simple and non-destructive.

exactly as i thought. OP has still not responded

-edit- check the OP's profile for last login, they probably never even read my recommendation...

2 posts, both in this thread

Your point?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.