Hi! I have a HPX1963. It is frezng up constantly. I will be both online and offline when my programs become Not Responding. I have also received a meessage saying that memory could not be referenced and then it will tell me my system is shutting down.

I took my computer to a family member that works on computers for a living and it did not act up one time at his house. I had a couple virus' in my vault and he cleaned them off. As soon as I got home and hooked my computer up it started acting up as before.

Why does it act up at my house but not his? I have AD-AWARE AND AVG. I check them daily.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong and/or how to fix it?

I have internet thru our cable company. None of the lights on my box go off; it says that I am online when I have these problems. I have called the company and they said they aren't having any problems on there part.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

MarieW,

I will be both online and offline when my programs become Not Responding.

it says that I am online when I have these problems.

So which one is it? Online, offline, or both?

Give us your specs...OS, Antivirus Program, and any other programs you use to scan or prevent atacks including, but not limited to, anti- adware/spyware/malware/, and firewall.

If it only happens at your house, it may be necessary to request that your ISP change your IP address. I don't know if they can do this easily, or if at all as a request. Furthermore, I have no clue why a malicious prog would wait for connections from a server rather than the other way around, but I've been surprised before. Just provide us with your system's information, and we'll go from there.

J_

OKay, it happens when I am both online and offline. My cable modem box always says that I am still online, like my connection is valid, when my computer kicks me off.
I hate to sound stupid, but I have no idea what the OS you are asking is....I am not very computer savy...lol....I use Ad-Aware SE Personal and AVG 7.1 Anti-virsus(Grisoft).
My computer is a HP series xt963.

MarieW,

No big deal, we'll walk you through it.

OS is operating system. Like Windows XP, 2000, or NT. I'm guessing XP.

Download & run: Spybot Search & Destroy

Then, Download & Run: Hijackthis

You'll have a chance to save your results from Hijackthis in the form of a log. Post the results of this program to the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum.

Do you have the latest updates and virus definitions for AVG 7.1 Anti-virsus(Grisoft)? Do you update Adaware before every use?

That should take care of any malicious programs.

Have you tried re-setting your cable modem "box"? To do this, unplug the cable modem and wait for about 20 seconds. Then plug it back in.

Finally, I would suggest fixing any Windows files. To do this, place your Windows (or HP recovery) CD in the CD-ROM drive. Go to Start >> Run >> type: cmd >> hit enter or click ok >> at the command prompt type: sfc /scannow. When the utility has finished, reboot and run Windows Update.

If you have any specific questions about the instructions above, you can PM me, otherwise post your results and the answers to the questions above.

J_

Hi. I found these listed in my events log...maybe they can help you help me! lol!
A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code c0000005. The machine must now be restarted.

Fault bucket 222139902.

Faulting application ypager.exe, version 7.0.0.437, faulting module ypager.exe, version 7.0.0.437, fault address 0x00001c05.

The COM+ Event System failed to fire the ConnectionMade method on subscription {59306E5D-C5BE-4CF5-8FC9-6B8869BFBB3A}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The subscriber returned HRESULT 80004001.

These are just afew. I have many more listed.

I think this belongs in viruses and other nasties. And my advice get a new computer.

Yes, it is XP.

Get another computer? Is it that serious?

My 8 month ols is getting very fussy so I ma going to log of to put him to bed. I did download spybotch and I guess it did the hijack..I already had winzip on my computer. never was sure what it did....i do have the following in the winzip log...
HijackThis.exe

MarieW,

Ignore ignorance, in this case petercoti.

I put some information about your errors at the bottom. As for now, just do the next step. Your installation of Windows might not be very healthy. So to rule this out, let's replace some corrupt or missing system files:

Put your XP CD in the CD-ROM. Open the Windows command prompt: start >> run >> type: cmd >> click ok >> and type: sfc /scannow. Reboot your computer.

J_

ypager.exe is the main process belonging to Yahoo Instant Messenger

lsass.exe is a system process

Fault bucket 222139902 could be a stack/buffer overflow. Fault bucket is a windows error pointing to some application labeled 222139902. We'd have to know what you were doing at the time of this error to have any clue what it was.

The COM+ Event System failed to fire the ConnectionMade method on subscription....is a Windows Messenger Error. The solution is to upgrade to the newest version.

I do not have possession of the Windows XP cd used on this computer. It is at my deceased mother inlaw's home somewhere. I do have a start up Windows XP cd that came with my step-mother inlaws dell computer. Do you think I could use it? I will not try to unless I have your okay.

MarieW,

Try away.

J_

okay, so I have a question. I insert the cd. I type in what you said. The black screen says some mumbo jumbo and the install screen also comes up for windows xp. Am I suppose to close the black screen and the install screen and leave the cd in and restart my computer?

MarieW,

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

The following should appear to give an indication of how long the process is taking.

[IMG]http://www.updatexp.com/image-files/scannow1.gif[/IMG]

When it is finished, remove your CD from the CD-ROM drive and Reboot. Upon system startup, run windows update.

If you experience any screen other than the screen above, please let me know. Haha "mumbo jumbo".

J_

Faulting application ypager.exe, version 7.0.0.437, faulting module ypager.exe, version 7.0.0.437, fault address 0x00001c05.

OK lets start this way.
It did not act up at your friends house correct?

It acts up at your house?

Ypager is from yahoo pager. uninstall that and reboot to see if it helps.

If it is acting up only at your house are you plugged into a plug in the wall or are you plugged into a power strip? At your friends house were you plugged into a wall outlet or a power strip?

I know these questions sound STUPID but trust me when i tell you as a tech that stupid happens. Its not ignorance or knowledge just strange strange things happen.

Let me know if this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.