I am having issues with bookmarks directing to other webites. I can save bookmarks but when I click them later it goes to another website like http://www.adcash.com/script/pop_packcpm.php?k=5223ae7e0c776178106.541145&h=59ebbf60230047531bf2e60d5ae2390545fce553&id=0&ban=178106&r=136690&ref=h&data=&subid= I have windows 8 and am using Firefox which says it is up to date. How do I get rid of the virus? Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you looked at the bookmarks themselves to see if they have been altered from what you thought you were saving? If so, then you should be able to correct that, but check if you save a new bookmark whether or not it was also altered. If so, then you have a virus. If not, then your browser is seriously pwnd in that when navigating via the bookmark the URL is being dynamically altered. In any case, this is the first I have heard of this problem. :-(

1)download ccleaner...clear extra data(temp data,chache,browsing history)
2)uninstall your browser
3)download fresh version

If this happens again.. maybe its a virus (try using avast free... it has great basic protection)

A first for me, also. You could try Adwcleaner from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
- run the exe, hit Scan. When it completes you can press Report and post the result here for advice. Review finds carefully if you wish to Clean unaided.
As an aside, Ghostery will block adcash and similar sites cold. Worth getting, esp cos it's free.
With FF, if you pause on the bookmark in the list you should see the URL pop - if then you are truly redirected something has infected FF, likely via an extension. Best to reinstall it, but make sure to delete the Mozilla folder under Applications in your profile first.

I ran CCleaner and uninstall Firefox then reinstalled it. Worked like a charm! Thank you all for your contributions!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.