we have windows media centre, we got a virus that kept telling us that the registry editing had been turned off by the administrator, and it also tells us that the administrator turned off the task manager. we have tried several ways to fix this to no avail.

the virus's we had but got rid of through sophos were called, troj/agent-GUA and mal/packer.

but still the above problem is still there, i have run sophos in safe mode command as it will not run any other way, if i type for help in the internet it closes any pages that have the words anti virus in them.

i have tried the restore disk, all looks like it is restoring, but when pc restarts it has not restored it to factory settings and problem is still there.

i have tried running hijackthis but it just kills the screen.

please help

thanks in advance

deanne

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It's late, I'm going to just try a guess...
Copy this download into the pc. It fits on a floppy. Or use Safe mode with Networking to go directly.

==Download SDFix from here: http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix.exe
and save it to your desktop. Dclick SDFix.exe and choose Run to extract it to %systemdrive%, which commonly will be C:\
==Restart your computer in Safe Mode:- press F8 several times while POST is running and before IDE detection completes.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
- When the Boot Menu appears again, select Microsoft Windows XP and press Enter.
- Log in by using the Administrator account and password. NOTE: The password is blank by default unless you set a password.
==Open the extracted SDFix folder, C:\SDFix and double click RunThis.bat to start the script. Type Y to begin the cleanup.
You will be prompted to press any key to Reboot - the pc will then restart.
The tool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished; press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
Restart the pc in normal mode. Post the contents of the file Report.txt here, along with the log of a fresh hijackthis scan run in normal mode.

many thanks it is now sorted

thanks so much for your help, a friend knew what files to delete with the log file.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.