Hello everyone,

I bought Fujitsu Siemens Laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic installed in it. I have installed every necessary things such as Anti Virus, windows update is done, etc.

Either I am doing my work or just on desktop, the laptop gets hang and I am unable to do anything other then switching laptop off by pressing the switch off button for a while. Mouse gets stuck, keyboard doesn't work at all. There is no virus or trojan in my laptop as I have formatted my laptop and tried twice but still the same issue!

Can anyone please help me out of this problem?

Looking forward to the pleasure of hearing good news from you soon.

Thanks and best regards,
AbdulBasit Makrani

Recommended Answers

All 105 Replies

Do you get any blue screens at all? Or does the laptop just freeze up giving you no option but to turn it off?

Thanks for replying Sir :)

No, no blue or any other color screen. It just freezes and keyboard, mouse nothing works that time. When this happened, I have left it in the same situation for 1 hour also to see if this problem goes away itself but nothing changes when it get freeze.
Then I need to press turn off button to shut off my laptop directly!

ctrl+alt+del doesn't work to unfreeze the laptop?
Has this only happened this once, or is it happening regularly?

Sounds like a driver issue

what are its specs?

It happens regularly. Sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 1 or 2 hour. It happens anytime!

Specification of my laptop is
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2450 @2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Memory (RAM) - 766 MB
System type - 32-bit Operating System

Is there anything specific hardware details you want to know ?

Memory is a bit on the low side for a Vista spec Laptop.

It shows 766 MB but actually it's 1 GB ram. Also when I bought it, Windows Visa Home Basic was installed already but I removed it because of the same problem I mentioned above and installed Windows XP after 2 days of purchase date and today I just formatted XP as it was giving me some other problems and thought to re-install Vista again as it might not give me the same problem again but...... It's the same situation for me :(

It's working very fast. Also it get freeze when I am doing nothing and on desktop. It get stuck anytime it wants. There is no time, nothing set.

I hope you guys can help me out as I have updated norton antivirus, windows update, office update and many other necessary software installed and this problem is still there.

Vista is installed today past 6 hours and it have freeze only once from that time. I will keep the laptop on for more 12 hours to see what happens and will share the results with you guys.

In the meantime, if you have any question/feedback, please let me know and I will follow up :)

Thank you,
AbdulBasit Makrani

Have you done a Microsoft update since you reformatted it back from XP to Vista?
Try Microsoft Update rather than Windows update, you might get some more options available. Just to make sure you don't have anything in your system virus/spyware wise, i would download and install the free version of AVG anti-virus from here and also install and run their anti-spyware tool from here
These can be uninstalled once the scans have been completed. Please update the products first before you run the scans.

get another 1 gig of ram for it Vista really need 2 gig ,laptop has shared memory with video, so thats why it shows 766,Vista has some unfixed problems with permission.exe service ,named something like that . using 100% of cpu

Have you done a Microsoft update since you reformatted it back from XP to Vista?
Try Microsoft Update rather than Windows update, you might get some more options available. Just to make sure you don't have anything in your system virus/spyware wise, i would download and install the free version of AVG anti-virus from here and also install and run their anti-spyware tool from here
These can be uninstalled once the scans have been completed. Please update the products first before you run the scans.

I did as you said. I mean Microsoft update. I have updated with Office update, windows update, Norton Antivirus 2007 installed and full laptop scanned with nothing harmful found. Also I have installed Ad aware, Spybot, Windows Defender. All scanned my laptop and no threat found.

get another 1 gig of ram for it Vista really need 2 gig ,laptop has shared memory with video, so thats why it shows 766,Vista has some unfixed problems with permission.exe service ,named something like that . using 100% of cpu

That's good idea but can you please tell me how can I integrate that extra 1 gig of ram in mu laptop.

I kept my PC open for 12 hours as I said and nothing happened!
I shut down for 1 hour and opened few minutes back and while I was browsing, it got stuck!
I took off the wire which is power plug, so on laptop it wasn't showing that it's running on battery now.
Whatever I do, nothing happens until I keep pressing the switch off button :(

Please help me...

Thank you,
AbdulBasit Makrani

If you press ctrl+alt+del when it is not frozen, what are the processes running on your system?
Go to the 'Processes' tab and make the task manager box quite big then do a print-screen of what it shows. Also to make it easier for us, could you press the column marked 'CPU' and arrange it so the most memory draining applications are shown at the top ~ the largest percentage. Please have nothing else running on your system apart from the task manager.

If you need that I can provide you but what I did now is removed Windows Vista Home Basic now and installed Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32 Bit Edition and till now it's working smoothly and no freezing.

But I faced 1 problem which is when I open Windows Media Player, click File, Open, Computer and then my laptop gets crashes and shows blue screen with something written to prevent your computer something message... and 3-4 seconds that blue screen is there and laptop gets restarted!

I did this twice to see if that was by mistake or something but it happened again at the same time when I repeated the same thing.

Can you please help me in this regard? I hope this is much easier that the freezing matter.

Thanks a lot everyone who took my issue seriously and tried to help me and took out your precious time for me :)

Warm Regards,
AbdulBasit Makrani

If you can take a note of the BSOD (blue screen of death) message, take a picture would be the easiest option in your case. Home Basic is not the best version of Vista in my opinion, so well done for moving upwards! Also as caperjack said earlier, i would recommend getting some more RAM for you laptop; check out this link to find out what your Laptop supports:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/loader.aspx?Agree=Yes
Download the scanner and run it from your desktop and the crucial website will tell you what RAM your laptop supports, and if you like you can buy them from crucials website or take their information and use it elsewhere.

Thanks brother :)

I am unable to get screenshot as it happens too fast and only screentshot can be taken from mobile.

Also I don't want to repeat this action again to make my laptop in more trouble :D

I scanned my laptop and the result says:-

We're sorry.
Crucial currently does not have any compatible upgrades available for your particular system.

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 4194304 MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB
* Available Memory Slots: N.A.
* Number of Banks: 2
* Dual Channel Support: N.A.
* CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
* CPU Family: Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2450 @ 2.00GHz Model 14, Stepping 12
* CPU Speed: 800 MHz

What does the above scanned result means?
How can I upgrade to 2 GB ram? Will I need to open laptop for that or any external ram is available in market?

CPU Speed: 800 MHz

maybe its running so slow because your power management software is underclocking it

So what you want me to do ?
Any suggestions?

I meant take a picture with a camera :P A BSOD is just a way of your computer telling you something is wrong and then it shuts down your system. If you could get the code that would look like "0x000..." if you can get that line code, your problem can be diagnosed.

i suggest using cpu-z to show you what cpu is running at, and what ram and how many slots you have ,and if there is a slot available to add more ram .SPD section will show how many slots and amount of ram in each slot .there is likely a small removable door on the back of the laptop for memory
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-143.zip

I meant take a picture with a camera :P A BSOD is just a way of your computer telling you something is wrong and then it shuts down your system. If you could get the code that would look like "0x000..." if you can get that line code, your problem can be diagnosed.

That's good to hear the problem can be solved.

I will take the snapshot by tomorrow and paste it here. Currently here the timing is 4-14 am :D
I need to go to bed now ;)

Thank you very much for your time and great support :)

When the computer got restarted due to opening file/open, computer coming back to desktop the dialog box came which says the following when clicking More Information:-

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 24
BCP1: 001904A9
BCP2: B14D5560
BCP3: B14D525C
BCP4: 82E185B6
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020208-01.dmp
C:\Users\abc\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-43328-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\abc\AppData\Local\Temp\WER16CF.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Also while taking snapshot, I took it little bit wrongly and was able to snap the following details:-

0xB14D5560, 0XB14D525C, OX82E185B6

If the above information is not helpful, let me know so I can give it a try again.

Thank you,
AbdulBasit Makrani

mmm
Those error codes arn't ones that i am familiar with. Were there any codes that looked like the following:
"0x000000XX" (X meaning any number or a letter)
Or
"0xX0000XXX (X meaning any number or a letter)
Those are the parts that i can diagnose. If you are also able to perform a HiJackthis Log of your system, this can help people like CaperJack and Crunchie to see if any spyware/malware/virus is causing your BSOD. Just as a side thought, have you got the latest drivers for all the hardware in your system? Such as graphics cards, other PCI devices or USB devices.

How to run/check HiJackthis Log and provide you the details.

Yes, I have got the latest hardware in my laptop. I have just purchased from Gitex Shopping Center, Dubai, United Arab Emirates past 3 months.

Also I have installed Norton Antivirus 2007, SpyBot, Windows Defender (All fully updated and scanned laptop and everything seems to be absolutely fine)

:)

Hijack this log details are shown here:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread83821.html
That is the latest version of hijack this. Download it and run it, you should get a text document at the end of it, with a complete list of various things in it. Please post the entire contents of the log into to a post and post it here.
If you are unsure about how to run hijack this post back to this thread, and I'll see if i can get crunchie to give you a hand with how to run it.

I downloaded and clicked Do a system scan and save logfile then the same bluescreen came up and I saw the error which you were asking to provide and it's 0x00000024

Right that error message relates to the following article:
"A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions."
In plain and simple terms, something is wrong with your hard-drive. Either it has too many fragmented parts (bits where there is no data are scattered through where there is data) or a part of your Hard-drive has become corrupt. The first thing i would now suggest doing is to run a disc defragment. This is done like this:
Go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disc Defragmenter. First close all other open running programs, then click the analyse button. Once it has analysed your system, press the defragment button to start the process. This will take a long time depending on how much of your Hard-drive you are using. Also if you use a Screen Saver, please disable it before running the defragmenter. leave your computer running until it is complete, and post back here if the BSOD appears again.

Okay brother :)
Thank you very much for your generous help and precious time :)
I will do as you said and let you know what happens after that :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.