hihi,

i'm new to apache. was just wondering whether it is possible to run asp or asp.net on apache. if so, is there any sites i can gather further information.

if not, does this mean only IIS can process asp and asp.net?

Recommended Answers

Just be aware, that while it does support most of ASP.NET, some parts are lacking, and some parts are missing. My CMS, #Portal, does not run on mono, because of its lacking Mobile device support (the System.Web.Mobile namespace).

But, I'm happy to say I have Mono working great on …

Jump to Post

Ive not used apache, but the ASP.NET support in Aprelium's Abyss Web Server was good. I think it only runs on Windows, though.

Mono's version of IIS for Linux is called XSP or something i think....

Jump to Post

All 6 Replies

Even though ASP.NET was written specifically for the Windows Platform there has been a really active movement in the Linux community to bring C# and the .NET framework over to their OS as well. This project is called Mono. From what I've read it is indeed possible to run ASP.NET with a C# code base on an Apache Linux based system.

Please realize that this is latest technology and literally hasn't been out yet for more than a couple months. You'll be exploring a new type of system setup. I has and can be done. In fact, I've just installed Fedora Core 2 in hopes of trying out the mono project and possibly ASP.NET in a linux environment as well.

Hope this answers your question. If not, I'll see what I can do, as will others on this board.

Just be aware, that while it does support most of ASP.NET, some parts are lacking, and some parts are missing. My CMS, #Portal, does not run on mono, because of its lacking Mobile device support (the System.Web.Mobile namespace).

But, I'm happy to say I have Mono working great on Mac OS X (BSD Core), with XSP serving ASP.NET Web Pages. I'm sure I could configure mod_mono for Apache, but XSP was just easier ;-).

1) while there are limitations as you said, is there any complications?
2) how about running it on apache windows based?

thanks in advance. just wanted to clarify before i start developing on this platforms. I need to use mySQL and ASP/ASP.Net. I know apache should have no problems with mySQL but not sure it'll be compatible with ASP/ASP.NET.

3) Any suggestions? Or I should just stick to IIS for a beginner.

can i run asp.net pages on linux servers?. and if it is possible then how to create virtual directory on linus server. i am desperate for the solution. please reply fast

Ive not used apache, but the ASP.NET support in Aprelium's Abyss Web Server was good. I think it only runs on Windows, though.

Mono's version of IIS for Linux is called XSP or something i think....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.