I hope I'm posting this to the right forum; if not, I apologise.

Here's what I'd like to do: I have a PC running Linux and a notebook running Vista, both "talk" (ping) to each other over the network. I'd like to be able to open a terminal window on Vista (via Telnet maybe) and have access to the Linux shell and be able to run Linux commmands.

Is it possible? How?

Reason: I need to practice Linux shell commands but would like to do it from somewhere else in my house... :)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Make sure sshd is running on the Linux machine, then connect to it from Vista via PuTTY.

I use WinVNC on the Windows machines and TightVNC on the Linux machines. It works very well and is like a software KVM switch. You do need to have ssh installed and running on the Linux machine. Windows may whine a little about VNC, but since the tray icon is always visible, it can't be installed in secret.

I use PuTTY to control Linux machines from Windows. X-forwarding (the GUI) is a little more involved here, but for command-line work, it's just fine.

Yeah Putty/ssh is fine for command line
Dont use telnet, its a big security hole

VNC or something is nice but slow. X forwarding is also a bit of a pain in the ass under windows

If you have a PocketPC PDA, PocketPutty is really sweet too

just download Putty
in your linux machine enable ssh service
service ssh must be start in linux machine

If you want to share file from linux machine to windows or reverse
you can use WINSCP...
its also worked with putty just try it..................:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.