Hi guys,
I am interested to run my own webserver at home, to share files with my friends and also, run my small journal on it. I searched for guides/tutorials on how to start a Webserver by using Red Hat Linux, but I can't find of any. I hope members here can help me.

I have just downloaded RedHat Linux 9.0 from redhat.com. My questions are as below:
1. I am interested to install webmin, so I am able to reboot the server remotely. The problem is, how can I get rid of the "Login" box, whenever the computer restarts? I want to make the computer automatically log into the internet when it restarts, without having to key in the login information and click to connect to the internet.

2. I'm using an integrated nForce Ethernet card (with Abit) Red Hat Linux by default does not support the hardware. Therefore, I downloaded the driver from nVidia's website and installed it. However, after the installation of the driver (untar), I can't find the name under Network Adapters Configurations. Please provide me instructions on how to get it working.

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate your help!

p/s: I'm a newbie in Linux, so I would like to take this opportunity to learn more exciting things! ;)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm currently running a RH9 box at home that serves as my web and mail servers along with some other things. It's not going to be easy to sum up how to accomplish everything you want to do with a few paragraphs, so I'll do the best I can while making it as short as I can.

In reponse to your first question, (a) webmin is an excellent app for managing your linux box. However, by default, by logging in remotely, you're transmitting your password without security. Once you get webmin installed, be sure to read the help files on how you can secure it. (b) You don't necessarily need webmin in order to reboot your linux box. You can also use ssh which is a lot more secure. And if you don't have apache installed, use the red hat sofware manager and install it. Check the apache documentation for the correct configuration.

When you say, "key in the login information and click to connect to the internet", are you implying that you're on dialup? If you're on a broadband connection, you shouldn't have to manually "connect" each time you reboot your box. Once your network settings are configured for your box, it will connect automatically whether you're logged in to your computer or not.

Suggestion: If you are on a broadband connection, I would suggest putting a firewall in front of your linux box, whether it's the RH firewall or a broadband router. You can NAT your public IP to your linux box on specific ports so that everything isn't completely open to the outside.

At minimum, you'll need:

port 80 - for web
port 10000 - for webmin

for what you're trying to accomplish.

As for your integrated video/nic card, are you sure you installed the driver after you untar-ed it? And even if you did, you'll probably still need to edit the config file located in /etc/pcmcia and the another one located in /boot/module-info-*kernel#* (probably module-info-2.4.20-8 for RH9) in order for it to show up.

I know that all of this is pretty generalized since there is a lot more to it, but hopefully this can get you started.

My personal suggestion is, if you haven't yet installed apt, go to rpmseek.com and download apt for your system. Once installed, fire up your console and run "apt-get update" then "apt-get upgrade". This is will update your system, and that's where you should start first.

Good luck.

deadleaves, thanks for the very comprehensive response to h202's questions. very informative! h202, if you do a search, you'll find a bunch of posts in the forums relating to apt-get in redhat linux

Correction:

I said, "you'll probably still need to edit the config file located in /etc/pcmcia/config ".

Actually, you won't need to edit "that" config file because it's not a pcmcia card. However, you'll probably still need to edit some other file.

I mistakingly said that in my last post because it's what i had to do to get my wireless card working on my laptop.

Most NICs aren't an issue with linux unless you (1) have a very "new" or "odd" NIC or (2) you're installing a linux distro that has an older kernel. For instance, I was installing Debian on a laptop last week and although it was the "latest" release, the kernel did not have the driver/module built into it and it did not detect the Broadcom NIC. Luck for me, Broadcom does have linux drivers and it worked wonderfully.

For what it's worth, I am running RH9 on my laptop and installed the nvidia video drivers and it works quite well. So hopefully, you can get your video/nic to work.

Again,
Good Luck!

commented: From BIG B Affleck +20

*points to previous suggestion and adds "4.9-RELEASE"*

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.