I just finished downloading Ubuntu 8.10 Live-Desktop from the official site...While burning(using Nero 7) i got some errors like sector16xx or sector 2109 is different from the source, but the burn process was successful...
Later i booted from CD and selected 'Start ubuntu without any changes to your computer'...after it loaded i first got a blank beige colored screen and later a black one and nothin seemed to be happening though the Disc was being read in the ROM...
I suspect either the disc has a problem or my config is low(P4 2.4Ghz, 256 mb Ram, intel 82845G i.e. 64 mb integrated memory)...i ran the 'Check CD For Errors' in the ubuntu boot menu but it showed no errors...
Help will be appreciated.Thanks in Advance

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I tried Ubuntu 8.10 and found there were times when it threw up a number of errors but mostly after buring the cd iso etc.
I then tried the latest Kubuntu Version 10 i think and that has worked a lot better....
over to u
M

hi there Godsp3ed.
i also have the same problem. all that comes up after loading the OS from the CD is a blank screen. i tried to wait but it seems nothing would change. Then i obtained a Copy of Linux Mint which worked with no problems. Don't know what's up with Ubuntu 8.10. now i'll have to install it on my computer to see if it can work.

Hi All, Im also having a rough time when trying to login to my ubuntu 8.10.

I used to have ubuntu 7.4 everything was fine, but then I updated to ubuntu 8.4. At this point I started to have a hard time login to the desktop.
I was able to fix the problem login in Gnome Safe Mode. But now, I try login with Genome Safe Mode but no luck, I get an error msg and then everything goes down and I get a black screen with some kind of errors.

I will post some additional details as I get home tonight.

I encountered a similar problem when installing Ubuntu on MS VPC. I then found this article, which solved my issues. It may be worth you giving it a look too, if you definitely want to use 8.10.

R.

I encountered a similar problem when installing Ubuntu on MS VPC. I then found this article, which solved my issues. It may be worth you giving it a look too, if you definitely want to use 8.10.

R.

Thanks for your help, but I would like to fix it instead.
I dont want to go over the installation process again :S
Of course, if I have no choice, I will do a fresh install.
Im just wondering, why using a VM?

Hi,

I am using a VM, cos I have a Vista laptop, but I wanted a linux box for web development purposes.

With the link I sent you, it gives you instructions for adding options to the default kernel. So before your box boots up, choose to edit the kernel, add the options, and hopefully it will boot up successfully.

Once into your OS, permanently edit the kernel, so that on boot next time, the options are already present. Hence, you would be fixing the issue, and this can be done without a full reinstall. However, the full installation only takes 15 mins or so, so is no biggy.

R.

Hi,

I am using a VM, cos I have a Vista laptop, but I wanted a linux box for web development purposes.

With the link I sent you, it gives you instructions for adding options to the default kernel. So before your box boots up, choose to edit the kernel, add the options, and hopefully it will boot up successfully.

Once into your OS, permanently edit the kernel, so that on boot next time, the options are already present. Hence, you would be fixing the issue, and this can be done without a full reinstall. However, the full installation only takes 15 mins or so, so is no biggy.

R.

I see...
but still, if I "have to" make a clean install, i'll use a distro disk. Its the exact same process.
You said "this can be done without a full reinstall". you think that if I boot with my distro disk i'll be able to fix with out the need of making a full install? i'll try that (at my own risk, of course).
Thx!!

Ok, problem fixed.
ran the recovery console and repaired all broken packages.
running smooth and neat.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.