does anyone here know much about linspire. io have thought installing it on my laptop. but at the same time i am trying to teach myself how to program(vb.net, and java). how would running linspire work with those languages. if i went to that should i start trying to learn unix?
it looks like it has a super user friendly gui, but does is still have the same reliability of the rest of the linux os's
thnx, john

linspire

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

forget linspire, im going for mandrake. its free...i think

ok, so its not free

ok, so its not free

Mandrake it's not free? Check again... They offer for free a version that's only 3 CD's, vs. the commercial one, 6 CDs.
Read here

yeah, i fugured that one out. i just hate to pay for it. :rolleyes:
but it looks so freekin good. i may have to bite the bullet and dish out the dough. do you all think its worth buying?

>>do you all think its worth buying?
I guess so...it's helping the developers...

yeah, i fugured that one out. i just hate to pay for it. :rolleyes:
but it looks so freekin good. i may have to bite the bullet and dish out the dough. do you all think its worth buying?

Here's what I'd recommend:

Download their Community Release version and run it for a while. If you like it, buy their boxed set, or donate some money. If it's really valuable to you, you should plonk down some cash for their effort.

Personally, I've done just that-- I LOVE FreeBSD, so I've purchased the FreeBSD Power Pack, and I'm regularly picking up schwag from freebsdmall.com, where some of the proceeds go to the FreeBSD Project.

Member Avatar for TKSS

I'd spring for Xandros if you're looking for a Windows-Like experience...try the free Xandros 3 Community edition

DesktopOS (Linux reviews) says it is a replacement for XP (closest thing we got for Linux).

http://www.desktopos.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=53

I sprung the 49 bucks for the personal edition for my sisters computer.

I actually bought the deluxe version for my own work station. For my play around computer I run MEPIS.

Hope this helps...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.