hi all, i would like to connect 2 computers in my house threw my router but i tried sharring checked on my network places i tried shutting down my firewalls any thoughts???/

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

More information would help:

- what model of router?

- what version of Windows are the machines running?

- are the machines getting their IP addressing info from the router via DHCP, or are you entring that info on each machine manually?

- did you assign a unique computer name to each machine and assign them to the same workgroup?

- did you set up identical user accounts (including passwords) on each machine?

- If the router connects to the Internet, can both computers browse the Net correctly?

1. Keep your firewalls dropped until you get things working.

2. Make sure the two computer's IPs and the router's IP are all in the same network range. If the router is configured as a DHCP server, it should supply the correct addressing info for you; you can check the computers' IP info by opening a DOS box and typing the following command at the prompt:

ipconfig /all

3. While still in the DOS box, verify basic connectivity by pinging the IP of each machine and the router. The syntax of the ping commands is:

From computer #1:
ping IP address of router
ping IP addresss of computer #2

From computer #2:
ping IP address of router
ping IP addresss of computer #1

You should get 4 positive replies from each ping command.

4. Set up a shared folder on each machine. Once done, go back to the DOS box and try the following commands:

From computer #1:
net view IP addresss of computer #2

From computer #2:
net view IP addresss of computer #1

The "net view" command should list the available share(s) on the machine you target with command.

What OS(s) are you using?

Perhaps if you can let me know this I may be able to offer some tips etc.

I will try to check daniweb again later in the day.

One pretty simple tip if you have Windows XP.

Open My computer and choose network places from the left hand menu.

Then from the left hand menu again, choose the option to Setup a Home or Small Office network

This is a very simple windows style wizzard that you pretty much just need to keep clicking Next through it.

perform this on both machines.

I can offer more detail on any of the steps in the wizzard if you need some advice, but I will not go into it here incase you are using Mac OS or Linux or other.

Steveneven

More information would help:

- what model of router?

- what version of Windows are the machines running?

- are the machines getting their IP addressing info from the router via DHCP, or are you entring that info on each machine manually?

- did you assign a unique computer name to each machine and assign them to the same workgroup?...........

Sorry that post wasn't there when I first clicked reply... ;)

Steveneven

hi all, i would like to connect 2 computers in my house threw my router but i tried sharring checked on my network places i tried shutting down my firewalls any thoughts???/

tks, router d-link
xp pro on both
nope both from dhcp
yupboth have name and same work group

Try the "ping" and "net view" commands I posted and let us know the result.

My computer's Window is Window 7 while my cousin's is windows XP..
And we can use the internet.. But don't know how to connect..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.