headedtomexico 0 Junior Poster in Training

So i set out to do some rewrites today for a utility i'm building for people to use on their own servers. It involves generating dynamic images to be used on phpbb, but phpbb doesnt allow you to post images with any GET parameters or with a PHP extension. The workaround is passing them via a rewrite.

I mostly have it figured out, but it isn't very friendly to moving around to new folders. I have no way to predict where a server admin will decide to install it.

I've tried looking it up, but i've had trouble getting past this last hump.

On my own server I even have a problem with it. My code is below, it is saved in server.com/subdomain/.htaccess

I have a subdomain of subdomain.server.com mapped to server.com/subdomain

RewriteRule ^dummyword/([A-Za-z0-9\-]+)/([A-Za-z0-9\-]+).png$ /dynamicpicture.php?parameter=$1&otherparameter=$2 [R]

if I navigate to "subdomain.server.com/dummyword/one/two.png"
i get forwarded correctly to "subdomain.server.com/dynamicpicture.php?parameter=one&otherparameter=$2"

if I skip the subdomain and go directly to the folder with "server.com/subdomain/dummyword/one/two.png" the rule doesnt pick it up and i 404.

Since this is going to be going out to 5-10 other server operators everything before "/dummyword...." could be very random. One site has it nested down 4 directories....

can anyone school me a little?