Im just doin some testing with a local webserver. i have one user: hybrid who can login to the webpage fine and has for a while. But when i added a few users: usa, can with simple passwords using:

ubuntu # htpasswd passwd can

thats works fine. But I cannot login with these users to the web page, it just asks again for a username password.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi ryan461,

From the command you've posted it seems you're calling htpasswd incorrectly. Run the command "htpasswd -h" to determine how to use htpasswd correctly.

If you are confident that you are using htpasswd correctly then please post your .htpasswd and .htaccess files so we can check them.

Regards,

James

Well i did it the same way on another vm, which worked fine. not sure what the issue was.

i first did htpasswd -c file user
then
htpasswd file user
for additional users

Yes that correct. I was put off by "htpasswd passwd can" instead of "htpasswd file user".

Can you please post your .htaccess file so we can see how you are applying the restriction.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.