Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem..

at the minute I have a few Western Digital 1tb drives, that I have connected to a server running red hat 5 (RHEL 5), but for some reason they aren't showing up at all, even when I try df

2 of the drives were connected straight out of the box, no changes - another was formatted to ext3 and none of them are showing up.. I have a feeling the server doesn't have ntfs drivers or anything installed (tried cat /proc/filesystem and no ntfs) but shouldn't the drives show up if I run df anyways - I just won't be able to mount/use them?

Many thanks in advance :)

6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by SCass2010

They won't show up with df unless they have been partitioned and there are valid file systems installed in those partitions. These devices should show up in /dev however.

Try running fdisk and get a list of what drives and partitions the system sees connected.

fdisk -l

Finally got it working today.... turns out the version of RedHat we have doesn't have the NTFS modules installed and the module we had downloaded was the wrong one (for a different build of RedHat or something?)

Eventually got it all up and running but thanks anyways, never thought of looking in /dev/ for it! :)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.