I am attempting to the compile the source at this page. After resolving the dependencies, I am able to configure successfully, however make does not execute without errors. I was under the impression that a successful configure was meant to ensure a successful make, but since this does not seem to be the case, I am unsure of how to proceed.

Some of the dependencies are flex, bison, and boost. During configure I did have to specify the location of boost manually, but the other dependencies were detected automatically.

A snippet of the output from make:

player_command_tok.o: In function `main': /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.cpp:1: multiple definition of `main' main.o:/usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/main.cpp:66: first defined here coach.o: In function `~RCSSCLangLexer': /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/coach_lang_tok.h:38: undefined reference to `vtable for RCSSCLangLexer' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/coach_lang_tok.h:38: undefined reference to `RCSSCLangFLexLexer::~RCSSCLangFLexLexer()' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/coach_lang_tok.h:38: undefined reference to `vtable for RCSSCLangLexer' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/coach_lang_tok.h:38: undefined reference to `RCSSCLangFLexLexer::~RCSSCLangFLexLexer()' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/coach_lang_tok.h:38: undefined reference to `vtable for RCSSCLangLexer' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/coach_lang_tok.h:38: undefined reference to `RCSSCLangFLexLexer::~RCSSCLangFLexLexer()' player.o: In function `~RCSSPComLexer': /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.h:33: undefined reference to `vtable for RCSSPComLexer' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.h:33: undefined reference to `RCSSPComFlexLexer::~RCSSPComFlexLexer()' pcomparser.o: In function `RCSSPComLexer': /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.h:33: undefined reference to `RCSSPComFlexLexer::RCSSPComFlexLexer(std::basic_istream<char, std::char_traits<char> >*, std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >*)' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.h:33: undefined reference to `vtable for RCSSPComLexer' pcomparser.o: In function `~RCSSPComLexer': /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.h:33: undefined reference to `vtable for RCSSPComLexer' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.h:33: undefined reference to `RCSSPComFlexLexer::~RCSSPComFlexLexer()' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.h:33: undefined reference to `vtable for RCSSPComLexer' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/player_command_tok.h:33: undefined reference to `RCSSPComFlexLexer::~RCSSPComFlexLexer()' /usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src/.libs/librcssclangparser.so: undefined reference to `RCSSCLangFLexLexer::RCSSCLangFLexLexer(std::basic_istream<char, std::char_traits<char> >*, std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >*)' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[3]: *** [rcssserver] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src' make[2]: *** [all] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1/src' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/rcssserver-15.0.1' make: *** [all] Error 2

It seems as if the problem is related to flex, and that the compiler is not finding the flex header files (I believe?). If this assumption is correct, how do I approach this problem?
Otherwise, any other advice would also be helpful--is it typical for a configure to work but the corresponding make fail? What is the default dir for boost's lib files? Can there be issues during make due to running a 64bit os?

I have seen situations like this where I had to either tweak the configuration (options to the configure script) so it knew where the headers and related libraries were, and in rare cases I've had to modify the generated Makefile. In your case, this is a bit weird since the errors are for missing vtables, and those are generated by the compiler for classes with virtual methods. IE, mostly they are linker errors - not compiler errors. My suggestion is to post those errors to the user/bug reporting forum for this project on SourceForge.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.