I recently installed Windows Server 2008 and how my BIOS keeps setting the Windows boot as the default boot rather than Linux even though I keep setting the Linux SSD as the primary. Any ideas on why it keeps getting reset to Windows in the BIOS? I have 3 OSs on 3 different drives, Linux on a SSD, Windows 8 on a HDD, and Windows Server 2008 on it's own drive.

Also, after installing Windows Server 2008 I get the following errors.

File \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Status 0xc0000428

Any ideas there?

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by lewashby

I cannot solve your issue, but I used boot-repair recently to restore broken boot configurations and it worked each time.

In ubuntu, or live ubuntu, you can install boot-repair with apt-get, as described here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair .

You only need to run the tool, click on 'Recommended Repair', and perhaps answer one question or two.

It may very well solve the issue.

Edited by Gribouillis

Did you install Windows first? You need to do that since it thinks that it owns the system. Then you install Linux and it will adjust the boot loader accordingly. A problem can occur if you install a Linux OS using grub and then one with grub2, in which case you may have some manual configuration to deal with. However, since you have Windows 7 on one drive, Windows 8 on another, and only one Linux OS the problem is whether or not Windows 7 and 8 support multiple Windows boot images. Myself, I install Linux as the host OS and run Windows in virtual machines. Much less trouble over all.

Windows 8 was installed first because that's what came with the computer. Then I added to SSD for Linux, one for the OS and one for my home DIR. Everything worked fine until I just tried installing windows server 08, now I have to hit delete everytime the system is booting up and manually switch to Linux. And even though I change the boot order to the Linux drive the next time I turn the computer on again it will be set to the windows drive again.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.