I'm trying to setup a linux game server to host starcraft games. I'm thinking of using ubuntu or suse, but I'm not sure. Which one should I use out of the 2?

Also, I really don't know how to set it up, so some one please help me!!!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I can't believe this is still here. It's been posted for like ever and no one has answered this poor guys question

no one has answered this poor guys question

It's a good thing he doesn't have any self-pity. :cheesy:

I'm not much for Ubuntu, mainly because I'm a Linux geek, but since Ubuntu has a special server edition, it might be the easiest to setup and maintain. And if it doesn't work as well you would like it to, you can always switch.

No, you dont' understand. I don't even know how to start.

Well, assuming you're going to use Ubuntu, I would start by downloading the Server Edition. Follow the documentation available for it, and once you've set it up, then proceed with the Star Craft server documentation (assuming there is some). As usual, Google is your friend.

OK, listen here. The only reason why I posted that question here was becuase I wanted to know how to do it, how to make a game server in linux. I didn't post that question here becuase I wantd a _______ to tell me to download an ISO, burn it on a disk, then install it, and then use google. Like I've said in the past before, google won't help you find an answer to a specific question that you have, it will only take you to sites like these. From now on, if you're not going to post anything helpful, don't post anything at all.

No, you dont' understand. I don't even know how to start.

OK, listen here. The only reason why I posted that question here was becuase I wanted to know how to do it, how to make a game server in linux. I didn't post that question here becuase I wantd a _______ to tell me to download an ISO, burn it on a disk, then install it, and then use google. Like I've said in the past before, google won't help you find an answer to a specific question that you have, it will only take you to sites like these. From now on, if you're not going to post anything helpful, don't post anything at all.

Did I misread? As for setting up Starcraft, look at this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=starcraft+linux+server

Like I've said in the past before, google won't help you find an answer to a specific question that you have, it will only take you to sites like these. From now on, if you're not going to post anything helpful, don't post anything at all.

Did I misread? As for setting up Starcraft, look at this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=starcraft+linux+server

Looks pretty helpful to me. ;)

I don't even know how to start.

And yes, you did ask for a start.

Start as in setup the actual game server not the distro. Most of those links dont answer my question. Most are how to install starcraft on linux.

I'm sorry, but joeprogrammer should be banned. He doesn't help any one at all.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. So? Does that merit me a ban? Also, I don't think you need to worry about who gets banned and who doesn't; if the moderators think I'm not being helpful, they'll ban me, if not, then I guess I deserve to stay here.

And by the way, if you don't think I'm helping anyone, maybe you should visit these threads:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread53773.html
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread52482.html

I think you (and everyone, including me) have much to be grateful for. I mean, without this forum, would these discussions even exist?

I'm sorry, but joeprogrammer should be banned. He doesn't help any one at all.

No, not at all. YOU are the one that should be banned. We banned one name, and the generosity of some of the other mods is the reason you're still here.

If anybody, it is you that doesn't help anyone.

dude, that's just 2 threads.

No, I chose those 2 threads because it better emphasized my point: Not only was I helping someone, but I was helping YOU. I think you should take a look at my Recent Posts if you think that it was only those 2 threads that I helped people with.

i use debian and centos for hosting americas army and battlefield 2 lan games

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.