I cannot sign in to my own server 2012 because it gives me an error that there is time or date difference between the client and server. i suppose my motherboard cell is consumed now but the user i am trying sign in is the administrator and it manages the domain. how to overcome this? Help me please.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

You could try doing

net time \\servername /set

to sync the time.

This is by design.

You should be able to Logon the server and if you need to log on the client workstation with domain credentials, first get these two systems to a relatively close time.

Which system is having a problem with its time?

the problem is that i am signing in on the server itself, and its giving the error. thats why i am wondering that if i was signing in on some client machine then this would be logical but i am signing in on the server itself with admin account.

@reverend jim, i tried that from another pc on lan but i got error that access is denied. the pc from which i tried this was not on the domain. my server is domain controller.

If you interactively log on to the DC using an account with Admin privileges you should be able to log in. Even if the time is incorrect on the DC. If the DC is an authoritative time source then it believes that it has the correct time. If you have configured it to sync with another time source it will attempt to sync its time.

Are you able to log into the hardware's BIOS to manually set the correct time?

yup i set the time from the bios but same problem was there, another is that i can sign in in safe mode but not normally.

may be i did something wrong. :)
And there was an article on internet mentioning something about Surf Control Enterprise User Monitor on the domain controller. that thing was mentioned as the cause of this type of problem.

1. Left click on the clock in the taskbar
  2. Left click on "Change date and time settings"
  3. Go to the "Internet Time" tab
  4. click "Change Settings"
  5. Select an external service
  6. Click "Update Now"

Your time should then be correct. If the server syncs to an external time then it should now agree with your PC. There is also a command line tool (w32tm) but this way is easier.

Jim, remember, i cannot sign into the server.

i can sign in in safe mode but not normally.

Have you tried to restart the DC in Directory Services Restore Mode (DSRM)? this will boot the server in Windows, bypassing the loading of Active Directory. If you try to boot in this mode, you can only log on with the Administrator account using the password you defined during the DCPROMO process for the DSRM account.

Got the Solution! Its the battery problem. I changed the time in BIOS, then of the PC through safe mode. And after that i was able to sign in as usual. But after turning it off, all time settings would be gone now. I have to change the battery now.

Jim, remember, i cannot sign into the server.

I know. You said you couldn't sign into the server because the date/time on your PC was different than the server. What I told you to do was to be done on your client PC, not on the server.

I had the same problem on a client PC, I had to bypass the domain and logged in as the local user. This let me in to fix the date which was wrong after a motherboard replacement. The CMOS screen only has 2 spaces to type in the year, the technician type in "19", but Windows interpreted that as "2119".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.