I hope this isn't too lame a question, but I have to ask...
Is it necessary to rebuild ALL of the modules each time I want to rebuild the kernel? It takes an awfully long time, and very few modules are needed to be updated, yet they're all rebuilt. Is their a way to recycle old modules and only rebuild/build new ones? Is there another, better way to do kernel setup other than the command-prompt make methods?

Ouf. :eek:

Is it necessary to rebuild ALL of the modules each time I want to rebuild the kernel?

Yep... unless you hack it (which I don't recommend), you must rebuild all modules. The reason this is, is because some modules may have different dependancies, so as soon as the makefile is changed, you have to recompile everything.

Is there another, better way to do kernel setup other than the command-prompt make methods?

You always have to manually configure a kernel if you're building it yourself, although Gentoo Linux comes with a genkernel program that will build a generic kernel.

You can always use a different configuration program, though. Besides the console menuconfig, there's xconfig, which can be built by running "make xconfig".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.