Ok,

I just downloaded Ubuntu, I want to know a couple things before I install.

1. Can I install a Ubuntu on a HDD with a Partition with 75 % 25%, and have linux on the 25% and a copy of Windows on the 75%?

2. Is there any important software that I should get??

3. If i downloaded it in an .iso file, do I need to extract it and make a bootable disk? What i'm trying to say is if I can install Ubuntu like you would with like Windows 9* or XP??? Or Can i just boot from the .iso file?

Thanks for all your help!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Honestly you should try out a LiveCD before you install it to see if you like it. ubuntu has a liveCD you can download and burn to disk.

What application do you use to burn in Windows?

> 1. Can I install a Ubuntu on a HDD with a Partition with 75 % 25%, and have linux on the 25% and a copy of Windows on the 75%?
Yes, but it's possible that you'll have to re-install Windows.

> 2. Is there any important software that I should get??
Depends on what you'll be doing. There's a few lists of applications on Windows and their corresponding apps on Linux that you can dig up somewhere.

>3. If i downloaded it in an .iso file, do I need to extract it and make a bootable disk? What i'm trying to say is if I can install Ubuntu like
> you would with like Windows 9* or XP??? Or Can i just boot from the .iso file?
Burn the .iso file as you got it, and it should be bootable.

When i downloaded it they recommended i use....infra recorder...to burn the iso.

>When i downloaded it they recommended i use....infra recorder...to burn the iso.
Burn it with any .iso burning software you want, just as long as you don't literally burn the file to the disk. You need a special program of some sort.

what do you mean..it told me that if I want to take the downloaded file and put it on a disk i should use this program.....here is the webpage

what do you mean..it told me that if I want to take the downloaded file and put it on a disk i should use this program.....here is the webpage

Nevermind what I said before, just follow the instructions on that link.

laugh out loud...ok....so how do I set up a dual-boot with Ubuntu and Windows

i found out how on the Ubuntu Webpage...thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.