hi everyone im new to this site really newbie to computers well not windows but linux and was wondering if anyone could help me?

i have a dell dimension 2400 120g 512ram 2.8ghz runnin xp home and a laptop (rock) with xp pro on 10g 512ram 990mhz and want to install jus linux on the laptop cus people have sugested dual booting but i have no idea how to do that at all spec on linux. i do not want to disturb my home computer as my sis uses my internet through it n she goes mental wen i redo it n gives me a headache :rolleyes:. but if i install linux straight down onto laptop then i should have no poroblem cus can get help of my desktop

forgot to mension my laptop has xp pro and windows 2000 runnin cus wen i install windows xp dnt give me the option to format will i be able to wipe the whole hardrive clean

sorry for this being long hopefuly someone out there in the big wide world can help me lol

thankyou

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

i have a dell dimension 2400 120g 512ram 2.8ghz runnin xp home and a laptop (rock) with xp pro on 10g 512ram 990mhz and want to install jus linux on the laptop cus people have sugested dual booting but i have no idea how to do that at all spec on linux. i do not want to disturb my home computer as my sis uses my internet through it n she goes mental wen i redo it n gives me a headache :rolleyes:. but if i install linux straight down onto laptop then i should have no poroblem cus can get help of my desktop

forgot to mension my laptop has xp pro and windows 2000 runnin cus wen i install windows xp dnt give me the option to format will i be able to wipe the whole hardrive clean

If you want to install Linux on your desktop without having to wipe everything from the hard disk then get yourself the latest copy of Partition Magic. It allows you to resize partitions to whatever you want.

As for your laptop, a 10Gb HD might struggle a bit with both XP and Linux on it. For instance a full installation of Slackware 10 could go as high as 2Gb. I think you need anything up to 3GB for XP so that might not leave much room for other stuff (depending on what you use it for).

If you do decide to install Linux on your laptop then stick the first CD in and boot from that. At some point you should be able to type in the command 'cfdisk', which will allow you to create almost whatever partitions you want. For a dual boot you'll need two each OS will need a primary bootable partition.

Can't say I've ever heard of JUS Linux, but if you do a search using Google you might be able to find some installation instructions for the OS.

Post again if you want more help.

Hello,

Be very careful with Partition Magic. Personally, i would do it right and move all the data off the computer, and re-partition it and re-build it from scratch. Install Windoze first, as it will clobber and not respect any pre-installed linux partitions. Linux looks for Windoze, and will accomidate it within GRUB.

Christian

hi everyone im new to this site really newbie to computers well not windows but linux and was wondering if anyone could help me?

sorry for this being long hopefuly someone out there in the big wide world can help me lol

thankyou

What distro do you want to use?

If your a linux newbie you should prob. start out using FC2 or Mandrake 10.0. If you want to know how a linux OS works I recommend you use gentoo, stage 1 or 2, however this is a long and tedious installation. I prefer slackware 10.0, the installation is not difficult. If you use FC2 or Mandrake then everything is done for you, if you use slack you need to read the installation manual, and if you use gentoo you need to read the man. very carefully. If decide to you use slack and gentoo you should use cfdisk for partitioning, its similar to windows fdisk.

im using suse on my laptop at mo only problem is with y n x axis

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.