Hello

hello my current hoster is changing his location and just now he suggest me few servers for choice

1. AMD XP2400
ram: 512
HD 40GB
bandwidth: 2000GB
port: 100 mbit
with Directadmin

2. AMD Sempron 2400
1GbRAM
80Gb HDD
3000Gb transfer
10mbps network
Located in New Jersey, US

3. AMD Athlon 64 3400+
512MB RAM
120GB HDD
2 IP Addresses
10Mbit Bandwidth
3000Gb traffic

4. Intel Pentium 4 2.4ghz
1GB ram
120GB hard drive
500GB transfer
100mbit port
CentOS 5
1 IP

all of this servers have ~ the same price.

First of all, for what is this server. I run few scripts which grab rss feeds, analize and convert this information.

So , thats' why the most important for me is
a) RAM
b) Bandwidht
c) space
d) processor

The only think that i don't know, is there any big difference between 10Mbit and 100 mbit ? is it so important ?

That's why i don;t know , which one to choose?

Any advice will be appreciated :-)

P.s. btw is

bandwidth: 2000GB
port: 100 mbit

is more than

10Mbit Bandwidth
3000Gb traffic

???

on another forum, it was told me, that first opt have more opt than the second one

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi there Lusine!

I would recommend #2 for the following reasons:

1. RAM [you put that as more important than space therefore 2. gains against 3.]
2. Bandwidth vs 4.

Now - yes, 2k GB is 1k more than 3k GB - clearly.

If you have 100 mbit port - well - it's better than 10 mbit BUT - your Internet connection might not reach that high - so useless.

OR - if it does reach that high - you will end your quota very soon.

10 mbit - TRUE speed - it's quite a lot to have for an Internet connection [again - if it's true speed to the cloud].

For the described project that you have - I think 2. should do the job without any problems.

Cheers,
aproape

#2 has a 10mbit, that's crap. i'd go with # 4

#2 has a 10mbit, that's crap.

so, you are sure, that 10mbit is so less ? (sorry i don't know real difference between 10mbit and port: 100 mbit)

i'd go with # 4

btw, i make a typo
# 4 have 1500gb traffic

If you have 100 mbit port - well - it's better than 10 mbit BUT - your Internet connection might not reach that high - so useless.

OR - if it does reach that high - you will end your quota very soon.

10 mbit - TRUE speed - it's quite a lot to have for an Internet connection [again - if it's true speed to the cloud].

BTW is it real to view difference between 10mbit or 100 mbit port connection ?

thank you

#2 has a 10mbit, that's crap. i'd go with # 4

Um, that's the network card speed, not the internet speed. I seriously doubt that the server's internet will exceed 10 mbits/second, which makes a 100mbit card unnecessary.

I too would recommend going for option 2, given the priorities the original poster listed in the first post.

thank you

btw, which processor is best ?
AMD Sempron 2400

or
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (as i know, the real numbers here are approx ~2500)

correct me if i'm wrong

the anthlon 64 is faster, but you might not need it and could do with a 2400.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.