Hi,

I have a client that needs me to put samples of his work on dvd into quick time format (I need to put it up on his website):

1-Im on a mac, which application would I use?
2-If its a lengthy or involved process, do u know of any tutorials?
3-He needs me to put up 6 quicktime videos, what would be the suggested maximum length of time or size for each one ?

Thanks a bunch,
macki

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

most dvd ripping programs transfer files into vob format so you are probably going to need to get a program that converts vob to mov most dvd ripping programs are illegal to sell at stores now but if you are looking for a program to just back up the dvds you all ready own then i recommend dvd shrink.

mac the ripper can make a copy to back up the dvd and handbrake can rip to other format. the speed depends on what quality you want and the config of your os

mac the ripper can make a copy to back up the dvd and handbrake can rip to other format. the speed depends on what quality you want and the config of your os

Apparently Mac the Ripper is no longer available. All I got were dead links.

>Apparently Mac the Ripper is no longer available.
You can get it from MacUpdate.

commented: He gave me an operating link. +6

>Apparently Mac the Ripper is no longer available.
You can get it from MacUpdate.

Thanks.
I should have gone there in my search.
And I got ideas for better rippers.

I've been using Handbrake for this. Usually works great with no problems. Takes a long time on my iMac though (avg 3 hours per 1.5 hour movie).

I like Mac the Ripper and Popcorn myself...

Hi,

I have a client that needs me to put samples of his work on dvd into quick time format (I need to put it up on his website):

1-Im on a mac, which application would I use?
2-If its a lengthy or involved process, do u know of any tutorials?
3-He needs me to put up 6 quicktime videos, what would be the suggested maximum length of time or size for each one ?

Thanks a bunch,
macki

As video DVDs use MPEG-2 as codec, it is not suitable for editing. Handbrake also does not output anything useful, as it uses MPEG-4 codecs like H264.
.mp4 is a container for such a codec. And MPEG-4 is also not suited for editing.

You can get MPEG Streamclip (www.squared5.com) and open the ripped DVD folder with that application and convert to a .mov using the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC), as those are meant for editing. But you need the 20USD QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component for that, which you can get at the Apple Online Store.

I've always been using Handbrake to do this . Usually works great with no problems. Takes a long time on my Mac.you could find some more better ones

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.