shotinfo 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,
I made an introduction in the appropriate place on this forum so I don't want to repeat everything I said there so I will cut to the chase :-). I run a non-profit organisation in Australia which has 9 PCs running a variety of Windows XP and Vista. I am the network administrator though I really don't know anything about servers - the system was set up by someone else who then disappeared and I've been flying by the seat of my pants ever since.

Anyway, I just bought myself a brand new MacBook Pro and have installed Entourage Media Edition on it - having been told that it synchronises with Server 2003 and is SO SIMPLE - HAH!

I have tried everything you can possibly imagine (except for the right thing, obviously) to get the two to connect, but no go. I am happy to post screen shots if that will help, but here is what happens. I have tried 2 different ways to set up.

One is the automatic configuration. When I say that I am on Exchange Server and try to connect, it thinks for a while and then gives me the following error message:

Unable to establish a secure connection to avn.org.au because the server name or ip address does not match the name or ip address on the server's certificate. If you continue, the information you view and send will be encrypted but it will not be secure.
Entourage cannot automatically set up the account for meryl@avn.org.au

I then go to the next window where I have my name and email address and a place to put the exchange server (which I know is right) and the LDAP server - I have no idea what that is and my 'reasearch' online has not helped here but I have put in the server;s IP address. On the next screen when I say Verify, I get a pop-p asking for the domain (I put in avn), the account ID which I put in as meryl@avn.org.au and the password which I enter. I then get the following error:

Please wait, this may take a few minutes…

Verifying Exchange account "meryl@avn.org.au" on "server01.avn.local":
Logging on as meryl@avn.org.au
Verification Failed: "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password" (-17900 )

Some of your account settings are incorrect. Click the left arrow and verify the items highlighted in red. To complete setup without verifying your account settings, click the right arrow.

The fact that it actually talked to the server gives me hope, but though I have tried a zillion different variations on this theme, nothing has worked.

When I try the manual setup, on the first screen with the account settings, I have my name and email address (that much I know :-), the account ID - I have tried both my first name and my email address - no joy with either. The domain, again is avn.org.au though I have tried the IP address here too and the password and the last thing is the exchange server which is the server name though again, I've put in the IP as well at times.

The advanced tab is fun - total guesswork! For public folders server, I have been to forums that have said to use https://<server IP>/public which I've done. The DAV service requires a secure connection is ticked off though I have tried without.

Again, we have the mysterious LDAP server and I have tried both server address and IP - both without effect.

The thing I'm really proud about is that I worked out how to get the Search Base from another forum. Scared the daylights out of me but I'm pretty sure I did that right?

When I try to send, this is what I get:

Entourage cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.

Mail could not be sent.

Account name: "Meryl's AVN email"

Error - 3176

Well, I know I've written War and Peace here and I'm sorry to make it so long but I figured better to have all the information than not enough.

If anyone could help and point me in the right direction here, I would be really grateful.

Thanks so much in advance,
Meryl

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.