Hi everyone,

I've got hours and hours of video clips that I want to edit with iMovie and then put on DVD with iDvd but they're all .wmv format. But iMovie isn't letting me import them, saying something to the effect of they can't be imported, or they're not the right format or something. Is there a program that will let me convert my .wmv files to a file that iMovie can recognize?

Thanks,

Grant

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

OK, but that website says that I should have DirectX. The link takes you to the Microsoft website where you can download DirectX, but it doesn't have it for OSX. Do you know where I could get it for Mac?

Thanks for the help,

Grant

no i think directx is a program made especially for windows you could check if they have a alternative for macs

DirectX is Windows only and has no Mac analogue.

Alternately, for a sucky kludge, you could play the .wmv files on your Mac and capture their video using something like Snapz Pro X. You can then output them into a variety of CODECs, of which some are supported by iMovie.

you can go to macupdate.com and download a shareware called Flip4Mac. This will let you view and save wmv files in Quicktime.

But you will need the pay-for Flip4Mac and Quicktime Pro, I believe.

Many people have problems of import WMV videos and DVD to iMovie, of course we need to convert the WMV to MOV first.

You can try Handbrake, it is free.

While this Video Converter for Mac iworks greatly for converting WMV to iMovie.

Hi everyone,

I've got hours and hours of video clips that I want to edit with iMovie and then put on DVD with iDvd but they're all .wmv format. But iMovie isn't letting me import them, saying something to the effect of they can't be imported, or they're not the right format or something. Is there a program that will let me convert my .wmv files to a file that iMovie can recognize?

Thanks,

Grant

Use Flip4Mac Pro to convert and edit it with iMovie or a Screen Show programm if you like to have it on flash for the Web. With Flip4Mac Pro you could convert .wmv and .avi to iMovie.

I've got a handful of funny WMV videos that I'd like to burn to DVD, however I can't find anything that will convert them to something that iMovie or even Quicktime will recognize.I second the recommendation for the Flip4Mac upgrade, and would add that once Flip4Mac is installed, you can open WMV files in MPEG Streamclip or drag them straight into iDVD.

i recommend bigasoft imovie converter which can convert all kinds video including wmv, avi, 3gp, mxf, avchd, mts, m2t, m2ts, mod, tod, mpeg, mp4, mov, mkv, divx, xvid, rmvb, asf, flv, swf, webm, f4v, mvi, wtv, bink and etc to imovie supported format for successfuly import to imovie for editing at http://www.bigasoft.com/imovie-converter-mac.html

step by step guide on how to use it at http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-import-mp4-into-imovie.html

Use file format software to convert yo videos which is for free at www.filehippo.com

Install ffmpeg. It is open source (free), runs on most anything, and can convert any format to any other, including .wmv files. Typical command line would be like this: ffmpeg -i filename.wmv -target ntsc-dvd -q 0 -async 20 outputfilename.mpg

The target option is going to convert it to an mpeg2 file suitable to burn on a dvd. The q option says keep the quality/resolution of the original file. The async option says to sync the sound every 20 milliseconds - a good value to keep the lips in sync with the speech. :-) FWIW, ffmpeg will also convert the audio accordingly, although you can tell it what audio format you want, including surround sound.

You can use Avdshare Video Converter to converter WMV to MOV, AVI, MP4, FLV, 3GP, MKV to play WMV on more media players, portable devices or upload WMV to YouTube and more video sharing websites.

This article will introduce it-Avdshare Video Converter,Simple convert WMV to iMovie more supported MP4 or MOV to successfully import WMV to iMovie for easy edit.

iMovie supports MP4 and Quicktime (MOV) format. I always convert video with Acethinker Video Converter, free and works perfect. It is a cloud based software to convert videos without install any software in your device. Here are the steps to convert WMV to MP4.

1. Launch your web browser and go to the Online Converter, you can google search for it.
  2. Click ‘select files to start’, and then drag and drop your WMV video into the app.
  3. Click the Format drop down list, select MP4 as output format.
  4. Click the Convert button, the App will ask you where to save the converted file.
  5. Click Start the run the conversion, it will take a few minutes to finish the task. When the conversion done, you will find the converted file in the folder you set in step 4. Done.

You can use Avdshare Video Converter

It is a good option

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.