I am embarassingly new to computing. Please be patient with my infantile questions.

Using a little how-to book, I set Expose because I do like to be able to spread out the windows I have open and get myself reorganized. But all I really want is to have the F9 key set for that, which it is. How do I eliminate the corners from also clearing the desktop, moving the windows apart, etc?

THANK YOU.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

Nothing wrong to being new to computing. There is no embarassing question out there, except perhaps if the computer is not working properly when the power is off.

Go back to Expose, and click on the drop down boxes that you see next to the windows. You will find a little - setting. That turns off / disables that corner. In essence, means " do nothing "

Enjoy,

Christian

Hi Christian.....I had clicked on the '-' option and nothing seemed to happen. But once I put the Mac to sleep last night, it must've thought more about it and now it's working fine.

My other question is about importing pictures from my digital. I have just hooked up the camera or the SD card via the reader and have imported them into iPhoto. But they're so HUGE (as mentioned before) that I need to size them down to include them with an email or in an eBay auction. The only way I've figured out to do that is to go through a rather tedious process. You'll probably laugh when you read it, but here goes:

1. Import to iPhoto
2. Drag to desktop
3. close iPhoto, open Photoshop (I can't see how to import straight into Photoshop?)
4. File---'Browse folders' and pics come up in desktop window
5. Double click one
6. File---'Save for Web'
7. Reduce size by changing pixel #, keeping ratio, apply, OK
8. Rename and save to desktop
9. Repeat for all pictures/quit photoshop/throw originals in the trash

I know! I know! it's tedious!

What I'd love to find is a way I can import right into Photoshop, edit them all as a batch with 600 x 480 (if that's what comes up automatically with the 600), and be done with it! Oh, and while I'm wishing, be able to individually rename them.

Any great ideas? THANKS Beth

Don't ley iPhoto import your photos. Try using /Applications/Image Capture to download the pictures off your camera and save them on the hard drive. That will at least skip the iPhoto import/export step.

Don't ley iPhoto import your photos. Try using /Applications/Image Capture to download the pictures off your camera and save them on the hard drive. That will at least skip the iPhoto import/export step.

Thanks, Yellow, but I'm so new to this that I don't even know how to retrieve them once they're there. Do I open photoshop and that will call them up?

How do I delete them once I'm done with them? I only need them long enough to upload them from here to Ranchoweb. THANKS!!

Open Photoshop -> File pull-down menu -> "Browse..."
Navigate to the folder where you downloaded them from the camera..

They should all be available to you now.

After you've uploaded them, drag the folder to the trash.

Hello There,

Sorry that I was gone.

Some cameras, when plugged into the computer via a USB cable, or a Firewire one, will turn into little "hard drives", or more importantly, Volumes, on the Mac Desktop. You would then be able to click on them, go find your files, and drag them off of the camera onto your computer's hard drive just as if it was a floppy disk.

I do not suggest storing your photos on your desktop.... that might cause profile damage. if you want, make a shortcut of a better location, and drag your pictures there.

CHristian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.