Hi All,
Stupid question for ya, when networking windows machines you can enter a domain or a workgroup, is the any way i can put a workgroup name into mac os9. as i am trying to link my windows pc in with the mac to provide file shares. ps. I know nothing of mac computers but presumed they would have the same ability the browse networks.

However if there more like linux/unix is the a samba like application to show them to the win pc's?

cheers

spikes

Hi All,
Stupid question for ya, when networking windows machines you can enter a domain or a workgroup, is the any way i can put a workgroup name into mac os9. as i am trying to link my windows pc in with the mac to provide file shares. ps. I know nothing of mac computers but presumed they would have the same ability the browse networks.

However if there more like linux/unix is the a samba like application to show them to the win pc's?

cheers

spikes

Greetings,

First off, you can't network Mac OS 9 and Windows out of the box without third party software. Mac OS X does allow Windows and Mac computers to connect and share files, printers, etc. without additional third party software, so you can either find, install, and configure third party software to connect your PC and Mac or follow the recommended course of action and upgrade your Mac OS to OSX Panther. :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.