I just read a thread about folks running OS10 and problems with freezing when bringing their computer out of sleep mode. Well, I am running OS9.2 and have the very same problem. It is a new G4 computer. For a lack of anything else to do, I just changed the settings so that my computer never goes to sleep.

Just thought I'd share that.

Have you installed some extra memory? I had exactly the same problem as you with my new Panther 10.3.2. It seems that this problem often occurs with bad extra memory installed, which results in "kernel panic" on the machine (total freeze). I also had some freezes at startup.

Eventually, It turned out that it was something strange with my memory allthough all tests showed it to be a good one. I switched my memory for a new Kingston 512mb (recommnded by Apple) and everything is just great. For your information, Kingston has recently delivered a big batch of faulty memories. They switch it to a new for free.

Haven't had one single crash since, the OS X 10.3.2 is rock solid!

-Powerbook G4, 12, 60GB, Combo, 768MB RAM, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth-

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.