This was done on a Powermac G4 450
1x 10GB Maxtor Apple HDD
1x 120GB Maxtor Retail HDD
1x 120GB Seagate Retail HDD

I added the Seagate today. I needed additional storage so I replaced the 10GB drive. Booting from CD I used Disk Utility to "Restore" the 10GB drive onto the new 120 GB Seagate.

The 10 GB drive said 8.7 GB was used. The Seagate says 4.4 GB is being used, but the data all seems to be intact. What would cause that difference? Maybe the Page File?

This was done on a Powermac G4 450
1x 10GB Maxtor Apple HDD
1x 120GB Maxtor Retail HDD
1x 120GB Seagate Retail HDD

I added the Seagate today. I needed additional storage so I replaced the 10GB drive. Booting from CD I used Disk Utility to "Restore" the 10GB drive onto the new 120 GB Seagate.

The 10 GB drive said 8.7 GB was used. The Seagate says 4.4 GB is being used, but the data all seems to be intact. What would cause that difference? Maybe the Page File?

There should not be a difference. I can't imagine you had 4GB worth of swap files. Both drives are HFS+, so the block sizes are the same. Personally I don't care for "Restore" at all. I get much better action with CCC or SuperDuper!. I'd use of of those to clone the 10GB to the seagate.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.