I'm getting this Unable to find driver for this platform "ACPI", on the kernel panic screen at startup.
I can't reboot into safe mode. In single user mod, the same error message appears and I can't type anything after it does. so any 1 can help me

help ,me out:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Hello,

What you've got here is your Mac is trying to load what's called a "kernel extension". In this case, it's ACPI, which is a power management driver. Either the permissions are corrupted, or the file itself is.

What I would suggest at this point is to insert the OS X disk; holding down the 'C' key while booting. Proceed with installation, and under "Install type" choose "Archive+Install". This will preserve your data and settings, but will archive all the system files into a compressed folder.

Hello,

What you've got here is your Mac is trying to load what's called a "kernel extension". In this case, it's ACPI, which is a power management driver. Either the permissions are corrupted, or the file itself is.

What I would suggest at this point is to insert the OS X disk; holding down the 'C' key while booting. Proceed with installation, and under "Install type" choose "Archive+Install". This will preserve your data and settings, but will archive all the system files into a compressed folder.

ya but i dont have cd..os...its broken,,,:surprised

ya but i dont have cd..os...its broken,,,:surprised

Your installation disk is broken too, eh? You'll just have to buy a new copy of Tiger then.

Having the same problem...

However, when I attempt to boot from an install disc, the dvd drive spins-up but i can never get to install set-up screen. I just get the dark gray Shut Down message that starts with:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0039BC83): unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Can't seem to ever get past it...

Thanks,
Lee

- What kind of Mac are you using? Is it Intel-based, or is it one of the older PowerPC-based Macs?
- When did this start happening?
- Are you holding down the 'C' key the whole time your Mac is booting? What happens if you hold down the Option key?

Okay. I am on an Intel 1.8MHz MacBook Pro with OS x 10.4.6, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD.
I CANNOT get past the "panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0039BC83): unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"" error message. Even with honding "C" with a re-install CD inserted and Even when I attempt to log into the Firmware, I get to a point where I can't even type in a command.

Two things:
1. This happened right after I ran an auto recommended "MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update"
2. I also have an iMac and I mounted the MacBook Pro as a drive and ran the repair disk utility and the hard drive is ALL GOOD.

What next?

Thank you a million in advance.

-Lee

>This happened right after I ran an auto recommended "MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update"
What happened, exactly? When you run the firmware installer, it doesn't actually update, it simply places the files into a special EFI partition, which are installed when the Mac is rebooted. Did this ACPI error start occurring immediately after you ran the firmware installer, or did you actually see the computer installing the firmware during the boot process? Did it complete successfully?

To be truthful, it sounds like your system is hosed. Firmware is a beautiful thing because it can be updated (unlike a PC BIOS), but on the other hand if you mess it up, there's no way of restoring it. That's why Apple warns never to reboot or switch off a Mac while it's installing firmware updates, and to have it plugged into a reliable power source (rather than battery).

The system upgrade ran through to completion and, initially, the update was successful.

It was the next time that I restarted the computer that the message appeared.

-Lee

One more thing you can try. Is your iMac by any chance Intel-based? If so, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the contents of your iMac's hard drive to your MacBook Pro. It won't do anything if the firmware's fried, but if it isn't, it should work. If your iMac isn't Intel-based, then try to find a Mac that is.

And replying to the PM that you sent earlier, no, if the firmware is messed up, there's not much you can do about it. It's essentially a feedback loop: the firmware needs itself in order to update.

Hey Joe,

So... i finally just went for it and wiped the HD clean. The good news is that the Tiger install DVD i have got me to the "Choose language" screen - but i think part of the problem is that it's not a real install DVD - just an upgrade (and a borrowed one at that) so i did get a message saying that i wouldn't be able to install the os and it gave me the Start-up option screen.

So, i plan to just get a REAL install DVD and start fresh.

But, since i was able to get past the Kernel Panic screen, I assume my firmware is not, in fact, fried. Would you agree?

Thanks, again.

-Lee

Glad to hear that it's working, and yes, I would definitely agree that your firmware is fine. For some reason, your Mac wasn't booting off the DVD -- my initial suspicion. Why that is remains a mystery, as holding down the 'C' key should have been sufficient. Regardless, congratulations on getting it working and booted.

>So, i plan to just get a REAL install DVD and start fresh.
Yes, an upgrade disc isn't enough. You need the DVD that came with your MacBook Pro (and it's worth noting that it's not possible to buy a real install DVD from Apple; they only sell upgrade DVDs).

Hi,
Am having the same problem on my Intel based MacBook Pro (1.8Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB Harddrive).

I tried following this suggestion :
"What I would suggest at this point is to insert the OS X disk; holding down the 'C' key while booting. Proceed with installation, and under "Install type" choose "Archive+Install". This will preserve your data and settings, but will archive all the system files into a compressed folder."

It would have worked wonderfully for me, was I not running very low on harddisk space. I have only 1.2GB available and even trimming out everything else, the min space needed is 2.5GB. So I'm having a chicken and egg problem where I cant boot until I delete some files but cannot delete files until I boot.

I read about netbooting but it looked a little cumbersome. How does one create a boot disk for MACs ? I was thinking of booting from the boot disk and deleting some files and then following the suggestion given in this thread.

If creating a boot disk is not viable, please suggest how I recover from this ?

-Parag

PS : I do have another Intel based MacBook Pro and older PPC based Mac Mini (which I'm really not using right now).

Hello,

It's actually possible to delete files from your hard drive using the OS X installation disk. However, you must use some Unix shell commands to accomplish this. After you've booted off the installation disk, from the Utilities menu, choose Terminal. I can give you a brief tutorial on how to delete files using Unix commands:

1. When working at the shell, always hit 'return' or 'enter' to execute the command that you've typed. To start with, run the following command:
    cd "/Volumes"

This command changes the current directory to /Volumes.

2. Now, list the contents of this directory:
    ls
  3. Most likely it will list the name of your hard drive. Enter this directory by typing the following:
    cd "Macintosh HD"

Or whatever name your hard drive is.

4. Now list the contents of your hard drive:
    ls

At this point, you should see the pattern. cd to a directory, and ls the contents. To go back (up) one directory use this command:

cd ..
  5. With me so far? Now, go to a directory that contains files or folders you want to delete. To delete a file, do the following:
    rm "essay.txt"

That command would delete a file named essay.txt .

6. Deleting an entire directory is similar:
    rm -r "my directory"

That would delete a directory named my directory and all its contents.

7. When you're done, quit the Terminal, and you can continue installing OS X.

I hope that made sense. If you're confused, or have problems with the instructions, please ask, and I will do my best to further clarify them.

Hello,

It's actually possible to delete files from your hard drive using the OS X installation disk. However, you must use some Unix shell commands to accomplish this. After you've booted off the installation disk, from the Utilities menu, choose Terminal. I can give you a brief tutorial on how to delete files using Unix commands:

1. When working at the shell, always hit 'return' or 'enter' to execute the command that you've typed. To start with, run the following command:
    cd "/Volumes"

This command changes the current directory to /Volumes.

2. Now, list the contents of this directory:
    ls
  3. Most likely it will list the name of your hard drive. Enter this directory by typing the following:
    cd "Macintosh HD"

Or whatever name your hard drive is.

4. Now list the contents of your hard drive:
    ls

At this point, you should see the pattern. cd to a directory, and ls the contents. To go back (up) one directory use this command:

cd ..
  5. With me so far? Now, go to a directory that contains files or folders you want to delete. To delete a file, do the following:
    rm "essay.txt"

That command would delete a file named essay.txt .

6. Deleting an entire directory is similar:
    rm -r "my directory"

That would delete a directory named my directory and all its contents.

7. When you're done, quit the Terminal, and you can continue installing OS X.

I hope that made sense. If you're confused, or have problems with the instructions, please ask, and I will do my best to further clarify them.

Thx for your response ...

The problem was that the install screen didn't make it obvious that Utilities menu could be launched. Clicking on the small icon on the right top corner showed me the menu after which I launched terminal and am now doing the needful to cleanup the files.

-Parag

I have th same problem

Won't boot up after aPple logo screen. Monitor just says no signal

Troubleshoot
- ram
- CPU
- replaced mother board
- graphics card
- did system hardware test ( everything works )
- put hard drive in slot 1,2,3 and 4 . No change
- acpi error trying to boot in safe mode
- single user more works ( hard drive one, seems to be working fine)
- cant load from disk ( with hard drive in and out)
- Can't load from external drive ( kernal panic screen comes up)
- put new hard dive in and tried to install os ( no change )
- basically did everything but power supply.

Is it a os or hardware ? Stress!!!!!

What do yu think I should do?
I'm running Mac pro tower.

I have th same problem

Won't boot up after aPple logo screen. Monitor just says no signal

Troubleshoot
- ram
- CPU
- replaced mother board
- graphics card
- did system hardware test ( everything works )
- put hard drive in slot 1,2,3 and 4 . No change
- acpi error trying to boot in safe mode
- single user more works ( hard drive one, seems to be working fine)
- cant load from disk ( with hard drive in and out)
- Can't load from external drive ( kernal panic screen comes up)
- put new hard dive in and tried to install os ( no change )
- basically did everything but power supply.

Is it a os or hardware ? Stress!!!!!

What do yu think I should do?
I'm running Mac pro tower.

Have you tried loading your system in target disk mode at boot and seeing if you can access it using firewire connection as an external HD. At least this way you could look for corrupted files in your init.

Check your RAM riser cards for blown capacitors, that could effect all ECC-ram modules and cause a kernel panic. From my experience I have had more kp's from bad ram or a ram missmatch than for any other reason.

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_startup.html

Hello Everyone,
After reading several articles that I have similar issue about MBP with Kernel Panic and I hope to find solution.

As first, I have tried hold down "C" key press to boot off OS X disk than gray APPLE logo appear with outter glass is running but it automaticly display in square box Kernel Panic, ask to power off or restart the machine. Hoping boot into safe mode by hold down SHIFT key that is given me the message below and I don't known exactly what's mean.

Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x003AB787): unable to find drie dor this plaform: "ACPI"

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace,Format - Frame: Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x250cbdf8 : 0x128d08
0x250cbe38 : 0x3ab787
0x250cbe58 : 0x38d522
0x250cbeb8 : 0x38eda1
0x250cbf38 : 0x38e609
0x250cbdf8 : 0x19ad2c

Kernel Version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.2 : Wed June 20 21:49 pdt 2007; root:xnu-792.22.6~1/RELEASE_I386

Please helps any information with guideline and appreciate it.

Thank you

Kernel panic is something which is important to the action taken by operating system to remove the fatal error

Hey Kevin2s,
How can I fix Kernel panic?

Hi Kevin2s,
How do I remove the fatal error from operatying system for Kernel Panic issue?

Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x003AB787): unable to find drie dor this plaform: "ACPI"

This is a power related kernel panic try a PRAM reset, if that doesn't work do an NVRAM reset.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.