Here I go, I just bought a MBP Core 2, finally I could get my hands on to one of this..... The first thing Ive noticed is that this ought to be POWERFUL machine takes forever to read a data Dvd.... Is this Usual? or is it yet another Mac "broken on delivery" machine?
2nd thing and going to specifics... Ive got a neighbour who gave me his wifi password for us to share the connection.... mi airport gets me the option to connect but I cant get any specs about the signal intensity, and It gives me an error while trying to connect. Im not sure what WEP, etc really mean (ive got a 10 digit pss). any guess what could be happening?

Here I go, I just bought a MBP Core 2, finally I could get my hands on to one of this..... The first thing Ive noticed is that this ought to be POWERFUL machine takes forever to read a data Dvd.... Is this Usual? or is it yet another Mac "broken on delivery" machine?

Not usually. It could also be the DVD, as many DVDs can have compatilibty issues with other brands of players. Try a few movies, and perhaps some different data DVDs. If they all read unexplainably slow, then you may have a bad Mac on your hands.

2nd thing and going to specifics... Ive got a neighbour who gave me his wifi password for us to share the connection.... mi airport gets me the option to connect but I cant get any specs about the signal intensity, and It gives me an error while trying to connect.

Hmm... how close is your neighbour? How is the router's antenna pointed, and could there be possible interference, such as high-voltage powerlines and such? Weak signals are probably one of the highest causes of errors when connecting to a wireless network.

Im not sure what WEP, etc really mean (ive got a 10 digit pss). any guess what could be happening?

WEP is a weak encryption method, which could also be part of the problem with the connection. For some reason, many people (including me) have problems with their wireless networks when encryption is turned on. Many computers won't connect, or if they do connect, the connection goes dead or they lose their IP address.

For debugging purposes, you could ask your neighbour to temporarily disable WEP encryption on his router so you can try an open connection with your laptop. If it works, then the encryption is the problem, and your neighbour may want to try a different encryption method, such as a WPA. If you still cannot connect even when the connection is open, you may want to try bringing your laptop closer to see if that changes anything. Or, you can just use your own internet connection if everything else fails.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.