Since the OSX.3.5 update/upgrade (?) my Disk Doctor (7.0) – part of Norton SystemWorks 3.0 – seems unable to handle the OSX directory size. And thus never finishes scanning or repairing the HardDisk it set out to.
All this while booted from the Norton SystemWorks 3.0 CD. I never had this prob with OSX.2.8 or earlier versions.
Am I imagining this, or am I fresh out of emergency HD repair and optimization options until Symantec/Norton sees fit to milk us for another $150 ?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hello,

According to Symantec's website, SystemWorks 3.0 works with Panther.

Do you have LiveUpdate working on your Mac? I am wondering if a tweak on the software has been released.

Christian

Yep, I know, Christian, Thx for your response anyway. Been to Symantec's website, seen that SystemWorks 3.0 is supposed to work with Panther. Only it doesn't, from my perspective! With MY OSX.3.5 anyway.

And yes, I have LiveUpdate working on my Macs. But that's beside the point, methinks, because however perfect that might work, it could never update the SystemWorks bootable CD. Norton/Symantec has made damn sure about that...

So, whichever way I look at it right now, I tend to feel stiffed yet again!

Chimney

Hello,

Sorry to hear that. With OS X's ability to repair hard drives, and a good set of backups, I have not purchased a Symantec product since my OS 8 days (well, because it worked with 9 too!). Granted, I have not optimized my drives since then, but nothing is complaining. It might be time to look into an alternative product.

Christian

It might be time to look into an alternative product.

What do you recommend, Christian?

Chimney

BTW, Christian, what do you mean "With OS X's ability to repair hard drives"? How does OSX repair the HD it sits on, then? Or do you boot and run some app from one of the Panther CD's?
And, do you never defrag and optimize? Your working speed must be affected by that. Because in my experience, everytime I optimize my HD it speeds up everything noticeably.

Chimney

One can boot from the OS X Installer CD and run Disk Repair via the Disk Utility. It's equivalent of running "sudo diskutil repairdisk /". One can also boot in Single User Mode and run an fsck (file system check), to repair drive. Panther defrags on the fly, there really is no need to defrag it with another utility. Plus, UNIX has always dealt with many, many, many files and has always done a pretty good job of keeping it together. And finally, Norton's time for the Mac has passed into legend. I would suggest moving on to more modern 3rd party disk utilities like DiskWarror or Tech Tool Pro.

Thanks, Yellow. I think I'll do that. That's a big help.
Now I only need a reliable app that distributes backups intelligently over DVD-RW's.

I believe Retrospect will do this for you, though "intelligently" is highly subjective.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.