I have a half speed Broadband facility via a wired DSL router which now and again drops the connection for apparently no reason. In fact there are two or three (little used) sites in particular which always drop the line each time I try to log on to them. Some days it is quite frequent and a bit of a nuisense Also the other day I had the same problem with the BT site.
I’ve contacted my ISP (Tiscali) twice recently and whilst they seem to skate around the subject they imply that there is no problem with their server.
Could it be something to do with my settings or are Tiscali telling me fibs?

Georgeben

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Are you connected to a router or a modem.
If connected through a lan router make sure that it is not set to timeout automattically after like 5 minutes.

Try posting this in hardware or networking section it seems like that could be the porblem

Download Firefox or Netscape and seeif you have the same problem. If you do have the same problem then it's a hardware issue probably, but if it only drops the site on IE then your IE settings are probably off.

Are you connected to a router or a modem.
If connected through a lan router make sure that it is not set to timeout automattically after like 5 minutes.

Try posting this in hardware or networking section it seems like that could be the porblem

Thanks for the advice but router settings are not the problem. I have it set to 30 mins and the ADSL LED is always on when I have the problem.

it should be set to refresh every 30 secs.
is your internet options in internet explorer<connections<lan settings is that set to auto detect lan settings.

try posting a hijack this log in the security forum and link back to this page.

it should be set to refresh every 30 secs.
is your internet options in internet explorer<connections<lan settings is that set to auto detect lan settings.

try posting a hijack this log in the security forum and link back to this page.

I can't see anything in my router (Belkin) set-up about 'refresh'
The 'Auto detect' in LAN settings is not checked. Should it be?
I like your website!

yeah it should be checked.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.