I currently run a Win98 system at my office and am connected on an intranet. Recently we have installed new Xerox Printers which do not support Win98. In an attempt to backdoor this issue with the software/drivers I was unsuccessful. I recall reading some where about a program that could "trick" the software with the drivers to think I am at least running on Win2000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I don't know about the specific software you are referring to, though I vaguely remember hearing about sonething like that. Do you have a server on the LAN that can install the drivers in its queue? Or in the alternative, many printers accept some generic drivers for text documents -- have you asked your Xerox guy for a list? That might get you through some hassles.

I'll check this out when I get to work tomorrow thanks for the help.

Thats not quite what I am looking for, but thank you again. I am able to get the drivers onto my comp but I can not install them because it does a windows version compatibility test.

I currently run a Win98 system at my office and am connected on an intranet. Recently we have installed new Xerox Printers which do not support Win98. In an attempt to backdoor this issue with the software/drivers I was unsuccessful. I recall reading some where about a program that could "trick" the software with the drivers to think I am at least running on Win2000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

Advice?? Don't be so stingy with your $$$ -- upgrade all computers to XP or Vista then you won't encounter those compatibility issues. Of course you might also have to buy new computers, but then using an old 80x88 is as bad as using horse & buggy on today's super highways.

Advice?? Don't be so stingy with your $$$ -- upgrade all computers to XP or Vista then you won't encounter those compatibility issues. Of course you might also have to buy new computers, but then using an old 80x88 is as bad as using horse & buggy on today's super highways.

If I was the boss, or if our firm was not in the hole im sure I'd have a shiny new computer right now. But for now I'm stuck with this Win98 SE

The best work around in this situation was the download a driver of an older model and attempt to download the printer as the older model. Chances are the drivers are interchangeable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.