Hi Guys,
I have a file with a .NRG extension on my C;/drive that wont delete I have tried Shampoo file wiper, Booted into safe mode and tried erase in the CMD but, every time it states that the file is being used, which it isn't.

How can I get this to delete

Glasgow

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

That is apparently a Nero CD-Image File Go to task manager and see if Nero is running on your computer.

That is apparently a Nero CD-Image File Go to task manager and see if Nero is running on your computer.

there is no Nero stuff running in task manager.

You might download SysInternal's Process Explorer and use its Find handle or DLL utility to see which process has that .nrg file open.

Check to see if you're have daemon tools or Alcohol or any other similar Tool that uses the image. Unmount it if necessary and try to delete it. Some program is holding it and its most likely a Image program like the above mentioned.

Check to see if you're have daemon tools or Alcohol or any other similar Tool that uses the image. Unmount it if necessary and try to delete it. Some program is holding it and its most likely a Image program like the above mentioned.

use ulocker to unlock the file and delete it

use ulocker to unlock the file and delete it

i was about to mention it, its 'unlocker' by the way,,little typo..

Hey bro ... first try to open Task Manager using ctrl+alt+del ... then under "Processes" search for the file and end the process .. Now try deleting file it will delete

hi glasgow, have you tried to use attrib at command prompt to unlock the attributes settings... or you can download malwarebytes then go to "More Tools menu" the check out the File Assasin option it should be able to delete that file...

There will be extra drive showing along with ur DVD or CD drive. just right click and click on eject. then restart ur PC and then delete that file. It will delete normally. no need of using any kind of software.

If no other way works, put the drive in another computer and delete it that way.

If you already know the path to the undeletable file, please skip to Step 7

1. Click on Start, Search, All Files and Folders
2. Type the name of the undeletable file in the box shown
3. Make sure the Look In box shows the correct drive letter
4. Click Search and let the computer find the file
5. Once the file is located, right-click on it and choose properties, make a note of the file location. Usually this is something similar to

c:\windows\system32\undeleteablefilesname.exe

6. Close the search box
7. Click on Start, Run, and type CMD and Press Enter to open a Command Prompt window
8. Leave the Command Prompt window open, but proceed to close all other open programs
9. Click on Start, Run and type TASKMGR.EXE and press Enter to start Task Manager
10. Click on the Processes tab, click on the process named Explorer.exe and click on End Process.
11. Minimize Task Manager but leave it open
12. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory where the file is located. To do this, use the CD command. You can follow the example below.

Example: to change to the Windows\System32 directory you would enter the following command and Press Enter

cd \windows\system32

13. Now use the DEL command to delete the offending file. Type DEL <filename> where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.

Example: del undeletable.exe
14. Use ALT-TAB to go back to Task Manager
15. In Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the Windows shell.
16. Close Task Manager

maybe its a virus? back up your files and reformat..
sometimes thats the last option...

Member Avatar for kiamzattu

As previously mentioned by other users try Unlocker. Its really good

Use Unlocker. Simple and quick.

Even though I have got this message before I have deleted it but Unlocker is a new tool for me. I'm keeping it by the way thanks for the link.

Use Unlocker !

agree with rep, it easy and simply to delete locked files or folders. i post article in <url snipped>

why are ppl still adding "advice" to a question posed nearly a year ago??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.