Gooday. As you were the only people that could solve my last problem, hope you can help here. Every now and then my computer freezes. Everything is still on the screen but everytning stops, I have to push the reset button. It might do it 3 times in an hour and then it might not do it for a day or two. I am running xp professional, 768 ram and 80gb hhd. It is a pc.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

You are at the bottom end of RAM but should not have any problems unless you are trying to do several things at once.
Being an intermittent problem, it makes it a lot harder to help. What is the "trigger" is there something that you do when this happens? What and how many pages do you have open? Is there a log of the problem when it happens?
Please send as much info as you can.
In the meantime, try running an on-line virus scan. Download and run Spybot and an anti malware prog.

Check Disk

1. Right click your disk drive icon (normally “C”),
2. Click “Properties.”
3. Click “Tools”
4. In “Error checking” click “Check Now”
5. Check the 2 boxes, “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
6. Click “Start”
7. At the pop-up window “The disk check could not……” Click “Yes”
8. Re-boot your PC and allow disk checker to start. (Do not press any key before it starts)

System Restore

1. Go “Start”
2. “All programs”
3. “Accessories”
4. “System tools”
5. “System Restore”
6. ensure “Restore to an earlier time” is checked and click “Next”
7. Select an earlier date when your PC worked well. (Must be a highlighted date)
8. Click “Next”
9. Allow system restore and reboot.
10. Check to see if problem still exists.

Gooday. As you were the only people that could solve my last problem, hope you can help here. Every now and then my computer freezes. Everything is still on the screen but everytning stops, I have to push the reset button. It might do it 3 times in an hour and then it might not do it for a day or two. I am running xp professional, 768 ram and 80gb hhd. It is a pc.

could be over heating , could be you are over taxing the cpu at time of freeze up,open tower and check fans for dust build up

Gooday. I have run the disc check. I don't know what it said as it disappeared from screen when it finished. Have checked for overheating, ok, I replaced psu unit with a larger one I had. It has no set pattern, it will do it if the computer is doing nothing or if I am doing more than one thing. It seems to do it more often when I am running a virus check. It just happens any time, the curser stops moving and nothing works. I can back date as it has been doing this for about 18 months. I have also run the disc check before.

I assume you mean you replaced your CPU with a larger one you had?? Does the problem happen with the old CPU? Did you download and run the programes asked?

Post a detailed report

Go to:- www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html download and run Hijack this. “Do not try to do any repairs yourself.” Save the report and send it with your next post along with any error logs.
To check error logs, go to “START” “RUN” type “eventvwr.msc” Click “OK” and check if there any errors in the logs. Include any information that could help:-
1. What were you doing on the PC when the problem occurred?
2. Does it happen every time you do this?
3. What progs are running as well?
4. What have you done to fix this problem?
5. How long has the problem been happening?
6. Have you installed/uninstalled or updated any progs recently?
7. Any other information that may help resolve your problem. Remember, no one here can see your PC; you are the only one that can tell someone else about the problem.

On-line Virus Scan

Go to one or all of these sites and do an online virus scan.

housecall.trendmicro.com

security.symantec.com

us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Check Malware

Go to http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
and download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Check Spyware

Go to www.safer-networking.org and download and run Spybot

Gooday.
I replaced the power supply but it kept doing it.
House call found adware 180solutions and menwatcher.
1. I don't know what I was doing when problem occured as it started about 18 months ago.
2. It happens anytime if the computer is idle or working. There is no pattern'
It does seem to do it twice in a short time ad then it might do it 3 times a day and then nothing for a day and a half.
I havn't done anything about fixing it except run lots of virus scans. I live in a very remote area and no techs for hundreds of miles.
I have downloaded the mem test, have got to work out how to use it.

hi,yeah the memtest isn't hard to use you just download it ,install isobuster ,then click on the iso file for memtest anf isobust will rung so you can burn to disk ,hope you have a burner.
in hijackthis i notice these,they belong to you video card, they are for overclocking video card ,do you have your video card overclocked . also if you plan on using hijackthis to make fixes ,do not run it from the temp folder its now running from
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SW20] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sw20.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SW24] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sw24.exe

Gooday. I don't know what overlock is. What is it and is it supposed to be overlocked.

Gooday. I don't know what overlock is. What is it and is it supposed to be overlocked.

the word is overclocked .it means boosting the device .if you don't know what it is then chances are you don't have your video card overclocked .

Gooday. i have run the memtest for 9 hours and no errors. I could not work the isobuster, eachtime I click on the memtest nero cane up so burnt it on it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.