My second computer stopped connecting to the internet. It asks if I want to work offline or indicates that a connection could not be established. However, in the icon tray, the wireless icon indicates that it is getting a very good signal. I have tried shutting off and on the DSL modem and wireless router to no avail. I have run ADAWARE and Mcafee viruscan with no results. I have reloaded IE.

Is this a virus? Would reloading the backup disk for the system help? I am open to any suggestions as I have a 15 year old daughter who wants to get back on to AIM ASAP!!!:rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I forgot to mention that I also did a system restore and it did not help either.

Since your browser will not connect...
Try getting Ad-aware to connect and doit's update.
That help define the problem as to your connection or your browser...

None of my programs that connect for updates like adaware or viruscan will connect. It says that a connection is not availabe and to try again or refresh.

Also, usually on startup, msn and AIM windows boot up. This is not happening now at all.

I would suggest that you call the tech support number for your wireless router. I just had a "similar" problem and they helped me in a matter of minutes when I had been pulling my hair out for a week over it!

Good luck!

Sounds to me like you have a Virus thats hijacking your IE.. there is some help out there!.. if you cannot access IE - try to reinstall it!.. if you find a CD or Program - but I sense that if a virus (Trojan Horse!) out there - I feel you may have to re-Fdisk, Re-Format- re-Install OS on your drive!.. if you have a Backup - try to restore from there!.. if not take out the Restore Features for Restore Points in and on Control Panel.. Make sure you backup all of your data to another drive.. my suggestion would be to piggy back another HHD to your first (insure you take out the jumper) - and backup there!.. if your data is non-critical - then redo the whole drive.. I know its a bear!.. I might be wrong - but without IE - you will not be able to get anywheres!.. and from what you say - there is a Trojan Horse out there that is doing this.. I use AVG from www.grisoft.com - they have a trial version (30 days) and well worth its salt.. it discovered worms and virus - that even McAfee and Norton saw but could not take out!.. Connect or find a copy of HiJackthis - somewheres and put on a floppy!.. run it - see whats in the Registry!.. I suspect your Registry is corrupted!.. Also - once you are up and running - download a FREE copy of FIREFOX! from Mozzilla.com.. do a lookup on Google for Firefox and download it.. I use it almost extensively - its way better than IE and much faster - and its as of today - more secure and has less holes for hackers to get into - whereas IE - has numerous holes and Security issues - why Microsoft gives you all these Updates/Upgrades!..

Once you are running also - go to Microsoft and do a search for AntiSpy - its a FREE Beta version and its the best I have seen so far to remove Spyware - much better than Spybot!..

Lastly - redo your Firewall in XP (if thats what your using! - and you should! its the best OS I have seen so far - even though its got its quircks!).. and install ALL UPGRADES!.. Including Office 2000 and 2003...

With all of that your Security on your system will be greatly enhanced!.. and it will be harder to crack..

I wish you the best - let me know what goes.. but like I said.. it looks like you go a bug!...

Stomp it!..

Baby Jezus Mother of Mary! It must be hackers or trojans or spammers or somebody trying to get in to your desktop emails, which contain mostly spam and viruses anyway, but rest assured they are after you. If I were you I would disable your network adapter and take your computer down to a safety deposit box at your local bank. Make sure you hide the key from everyone including your mom. Don't Be Stupid Keep It Safe DBSKIS is what I always say. And definitely don't check your WEP settings as a reason your connected but your browser doesn't work!

My second computer stopped connecting to the internet. It asks if I want to work offline or indicates that a connection could not be established. However, in the icon tray, the wireless icon indicates that it is getting a very good signal. I have tried shutting off and on the DSL modem and wireless router to no avail. I have run ADAWARE and Mcafee viruscan with no results. I have reloaded IE.

Is this a virus? Would reloading the backup disk for the system help? I am open to any suggestions as I have a 15 year old daughter who wants to get back on to AIM ASAP!!!:rolleyes:

I think this is a Microsoft problem though I am still trying to resolve this issue myself see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135404
for a full description.
A temporary work around is to do a restore at your last known good logon.

Hi,
There are numerous causes for IE not to connect. A few points to check. Log into your modem to check your details, and run diagnostics and check your dsl status. If your dsl status says you have no connection then call your ISP. If the dsl is ok then download a copy of Hijack this and post to Viruses, Spyware and other nasties, there will be somethere who will be able to help you.
Good luck

Dave

I had the same problem on my second computer. System restore and reloading internet explorer (via CD download from the working computer) did not help. A call to my internet service provider (small company, customer friendly) helped me solve the issue. Apparently, last week Wednesday, 9 July 2008, Microsoft downloaded an update that somehow interacted inappropriately with other security programs. I was told to, on the problem computer, deactivate any antivirus and especially firewall programs, such as ZoneAlarm, then reboot and try connecting again. It worked. I was told I could that once reconnected to the internet, the security programs could be turned on again. There was no problem after reactivating my antivirus programs, but when I turned ZoneAlarm on again, internet connection was lost. I turned ZoneAlarm off once more, and all is working fine.

I had the same problem on my second computer. System restore and reloading internet explorer (via CD download from the working computer) did not help. A call to my internet service provider (small company, customer friendly) helped me solve the issue. Apparently, last week Wednesday, 9 July 2008, Microsoft downloaded an update that somehow interacted inappropriately with other security programs. I was told to, on the problem computer, deactivate any antivirus and especially firewall programs, such as ZoneAlarm, then reboot and try connecting again. It worked. I was told I could that once reconnected to the internet, the security programs could be turned on again. There was no problem after reactivating my antivirus programs, but when I turned ZoneAlarm on again, internet connection was lost. I turned ZoneAlarm off once more, and all is working fine.

I had the exact same problem. I ran a Microsoft update today, restarted my PC, and...no broswer or program access to the internet. Other PCs in the house could connect just fine, so I knew the problem was localized to my PC, and the only thing that had changed were the Microsoft updates.

There is an update for ZoneAlarm that seems to help with this. Of course you need to go into the ZoneAlarm console, shut off the firewall, grab the update, install and restart. Upon restart, everything connects normally.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.