Hey guys,
I have a brother (aged 23) who plays world of warcraft day in, day out. He plays for up to 16 hours a day, has no job and is becoming dumber by the day. The game has taken over his life and is seriously damaging his life, the rest of the family are more than worried.

I need to find a way to disable this game on his computer or his router, I have much experience in C# and can write an application if possible? Maybe write a script for his router? I desperately need to find a solution, his life has been this way for near on 4 years!

Please help me find a solution, he lives on his own with a computer and router, so I have no local access to the router/computer but I can visit him and deploy an app or script.... I just need to know the best options. Please help!

Many thanks for any help you can offer, KillerOfDN.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Then what?

I very much doubt that he'll simply "snap out of it" just because of a failure to connect. What's your plan for phase 2?

If he's that deeply addicted to it, you're going to need a counsellor, and probably some other services as well. Research your total solution, don't just pull the plug and hope everything will be well.

Your (and his) problems are sociological, not technical.

um, tell your parents to stop paying his subscription?

um, tell your parents to stop paying his subscription?

I did mention he's 23 and lives alone right?

Then what?

I very much doubt that he'll simply "snap out of it" just because of a failure to connect. What's your plan for phase 2?

If he's that deeply addicted to it, you're going to need a counsellor, and probably some other services as well. Research your total solution, don't just pull the plug and hope everything will be well.

Your (and his) problems are sociological, not technical.

The thing is when he moved to his new place he had no internet for several weeks before the cable company would in install it, so that of course meant he had no WOW to play. He could do nothing about it, which is why it didn't bother him... The aim here is to fool him into thinking the game no longer works for him, in some dim glimmer of hope he might one day quit!

While probably not the best solution it's the only option at the moment, have you ever tried telling your older brother he needs to see a counsellor? I don't want to offend him, just get him off the game...

Is he dumb enough to
- not call any kind of tech support
- not figure out that some malware is now on his machine
- not figure out it was you that put it there (you visit, WoW stops working, mmmm)
- not call YOU for help

I just see this back-firing in so many bad ways.

> have you ever tried telling your older brother he needs to see a counsellor
But you at least should consult with one to explain your collective concerns (and situation). That is, someone who is competent to deal with addiction (which I'm not, and probably, neither are you).

And needless to say, you'd better make sure the rest of the family are in on this plan.

Is he dumb enough to
- not call any kind of tech support
- not figure out that some malware is now on his machine
- not figure out it was you that put it there (you visit, WoW stops working, mmmm)
- not call YOU for help

I just see this back-firing in so many bad ways.

> have you ever tried telling your older brother he needs to see a counsellor
But you at least should consult with one to explain your collective concerns (and situation). That is, someone who is competent to deal with addiction (which I'm not, and probably, neither are you).

And needless to say, you'd better make sure the rest of the family are in on this plan.

Many thanks for this answer, made me think, and maybe he should go see a counsellor... I'm going to try get in touch with one on Monday, see what they say.

Thanks for helping me. :-)

I did mention he's 23 and lives alone right

If he doesnt have a job, then how does he pay

If he doesnt have a job, then how does he pay

No offence but as a scott, you should know about social welfare benefits? Right?

commented: i did indeed find this comment offensive. -7
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.