I cannot access my Toshiba External HDD. When I use chkdsk, It complains "Unable to determine volume version and state, chkdsk aborted". I cannot think of any other way to restore it. I don't have access to buy recovery software so, freeware is preferrable.
Thanks all

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I cannot think of any other way to restore it.

hi,chkdsk does not restore it ,it will just scan and fix/repair errors on the disk! SOMETIMES

So any suggestion? I want to repair it or if I can, recover the data

Hi,

1- connect the external HD to other PC and check again , if you can't access the HD then
2- connect the external HD to other OS like Linux, if you can't access the HD then
3- if you hear sound like a noise inside the HD then its physical problem and you must use recovery software as mentioned in the above reply
4- if you dont hear the sound may be the problem from the HD interface (case) and your data is safe , you just change the interface (case) and try again

i hope this will solve you problem
*sorry for my bad english specially the grammer its Zero :)

Hi,
4- you just change the interface (case) and try again

all good advise ,but you will need the interface from the exact same hard drive

I cannot access my Toshiba External HDD. When I use chkdsk, It complains "Unable to determine volume version and state, chkdsk aborted". I cannot think of any other way to restore it. I don't have access to buy recovery software so, freeware is preferrable.
Thanks all

I am sorry you did not get a single meaningful answer, I have the same problem. Have you solved it since?

As to your sign in question - it is really silly. Angel devil hell, heaven - list goes on. It is the fundamental question of a fantastic book by Janos Lang. If by Lenin's definition the mind is reality in a different form - implicitly stating that reality is primary and mind secondary - reality in a mind [image] form - then how is it possible to have images in our mind that do not exist in reality? And so he wrote a whole fascinating book on it.
So how is your HD? // George

Use TESTDISK - simple and effective. There are many stages of a crashed disk - from a corrupted MBR to physically damaged disk sectors, and most problems reported are different. This one works at many of the stages, so just download it, read the manual and rescue your data. As I am doing it right now. Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.