Hi folk... My first post and I will enjoy reading other's...I am not a professional IT person...a 72 year old lady that has just been involved with computers for more years than I care to admit to...remember the IBM 360 and the Burroughs Beastly B80?...and have had my own PC since the early eighties.

I usually use open source browsers but because I teach others of my age to get the most out of their computers, I downloaded the new IE8 and found it wouldnt open a tried and true webpage that would open on all those browsers that I have used!!!!

The message included the dangerous piece of code called swflash.cab... when googling for information (how I found this site) it seems that some gamers programmers and others were experiencing a similar problem.

To cut a longish story short...I went to the Adobe site and downloaded the item...extracted and installed it from C:\Windows in it's own folder. Voila....I can now open the oh so clean Lottery web site here in Queensland australia.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

and that means..., you won the lottery then.

and that means..., you won the lottery then.

not yet...this tuesday....90 million dollars....lol but seriously the problem is one of the many reasons why I dont like working with MS. However because they have the monopoly I must keep up with their problems to fix my friends problems.... and I must say I dont still that vvery first PC...must be onto my 15th by now...thanks for the response.

Swflash is Shockwave flash, if the site needed it then it would be asked by any other browser too, not just IE, but personally i hate IE, i feel Firefox/Opera are the best.. :)

Swflash is Shockwave flash, if the site needed it then it would be asked by any other browser too, not just IE, but personally i hate IE, i feel Firefox/Opera are the best.. :)

that was the whole point...IE8 would NOT allow me to even download it... I ended up downloading it with my favourite gorilla and installing it...then starting IE8 which then accepted my request to go to the www.goldencasket.com.au...
thanks for your input...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.