I originall y had XP isntalled on my system I partitioned my drive and set up a partition so i could install windows 7. Everything worked fine. smooth as silk. I noticed my xp was running odd so i then decided to reinstall xp on the xp partition(C:). Well now I have done that and the computer just automatically boots into XP. it does not even give me the option to boot into windows 7 at all. I would like the windows 7 boot menu back IE (Earlier versions of windows or WIndows7).

The only boot.ini file i could infd is on my windows 7 partition (D:)and this is what it looks like.

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

There is no boot.ini on the xp partition C:. How do i get it back to the windows 7 dual boot menu?

I was thinking i needed to run the windows 7 cd and use fixmbr or something, but i do not want to lose anything or screw anything up so i wanted to ask here first.

FYI. when i was in windows 7 it showed windows 7 partition as C: and the xp partition as D:

Thanks for the help!!!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I tried to edit my previous post but i guess i was too late...

UPDATE: After some searching on the net i tried booting off the Windows 7 cd and selected the language and keyboard layout and clicked NEXT. Then i clicked the small link at the bottom to repair. It said it found an error and that it added windows 7 to the boot. Restarted. Still only booted into Windows XP.

Then i tried using EasyBCD and it also found windows 7, it said it changed the bootloader and let me add windows xp and the second item. Made sure to click SAVE. Rebooted

It still only boots into Windows XP.

Not sure what else to try unless I boot from windows 7 cd. Tell it install and then repair?

You can recover Windows 7 by using the Windows 7 DVD. This is not a re-install but just a recovery of your Windows 7 Boot Manager.
When you re-installed XP it automatically deleted Windows 7 as it doesnt recognize it.

Heres the easy fix.
Insert the Windows 7 DVD in to your DVD drive and boot into the DVD. Once you are on the install screen, at the bottom you will see "Repair your computer" Click on that and windows 7 will scan for problems and if it finds any it will be easy as clicking next, Finish and Reboot.
If it fails to do that click on "start up repair".
Let me know if this fails to fix your problem.

Before you posted I already tried the 'rapir your computer' options, it said there wer eerrors and it said it fixed them, but still booted straight into windows XP.

Tried the 'start-up repair' option, again, it said it fixed the boot manager and what not and for me to restart. i restarted and same thing... boots straight into windows.

What next?

How big a hardrive do you have? You could try creating another partiton and installing windows 7 on that. This should recognise XP and the other Win 7.

That EasyBCD did you tell it to write to MBR?

Must have done EasyBCD wrong the first time. ALl is well now, everything is groovy. Thanks all!!

I originall y had XP isntalled on my system I partitioned my drive and set up a partition so i could install windows 7. Everything worked fine. smooth as silk. I noticed my xp was running odd so i then decided to reinstall xp on the xp partition(C. Well now I have done that and the computer just automatically boots into XP. it does not even give me the option to boot into windows 7 at all. I would like the windows 7 boot menu back IE (Earlier versions of windows or WIndows7).

The only boot.ini file i could infd is on my windows 7 partition (Dand this is what it looks like.

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

There is no boot.ini on the xp partition C:. How do i get it back to the windows 7 dual boot menu?

I was thinking i needed to run the windows 7 cd and use fixmbr or something, but i do not want to lose anything or screw anything up so i wanted to ask here first.

FYI. when i was in windows 7 it showed windows 7 partition as C: and the xp partition as D:

Thanks for the help!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.