Hi,
I have a VB6.0 application, which is functioning in windows XP operating system,
And I’m going to use the application in Windows 7 operating system.

In this application I am using the following OCX controls,
• Keysta32.ocx
• Grid32.ocx
• Threed32.ocx
• Mschart.ocx

The "Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7" of Microsoft says that these runtime files will not be supported in the Windows 7 OS

Refer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

But I can able to register these OCX files in Windows 7 OS, can able access the properties, methods and events of these controls, and working fine in a sample VB6.0 application.

I need to know,

What are the risks involved in using these Unsupported OCX controls in my application when moved to Windows 7 OS?

If there are any issues then is there any solution / replacement for these OCX controls.

Let me know the detail of the compatibility issues of these OCX controls in windows 7 OS.

Thanks,

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It might be asking too much for others to tell you the risks of using specific OCX controls under Windows 7.

The questions you ask about replacements for the unsupported OCXs is reasonable. Have you put the questions to Microsoft?

On the principle of using unsupported OCXs, you'd be doing this forum a useful service if you run your application on a testbed system under Windows 7, in a variety of scenarios such as concurrent Office applications and then report any noteworthy effects, issues or successes.

Good luck.

upgrade your app to vb 2008

upgrade your app to vb 2008

Yeah - the simple solutions are the best solutions!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.